The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

12000lbs remote control is what you want Ian, running 2 warrior winches on my landys and proved excellent. The remote really opens up a whole new level of use!

I've not used a winch since buying the skid steer and that portable winch has some amazing force when used with a fiddle block. I do think a winch makes them look awesome though.

• 2 weeks later...

Who is running a puma landy? U got a 110 puma about 2 months ago and it's night and day from my memories of 90 and 110 of old and the puma goes v well (for a landy) but wondered what milage the engine is good for? A few landy people have said it's not as strong as a 300tdi/td5 just wondered on others thoughts.

My 2007 Puma has just passed the 175,000 mile mark.

There are some known weaknesses (eg clutch, gearbox output adaptor shaft splines, rear axle halfshaft/drive flange spline fretting, passive immobiliser, etc) but it is the most comfortable and usable Defender of all time. The torque characteristics of the engine and the spread of ratios in the MT82 main box make it a delight to drive and superb for towing.

It is easy to maintain and the electronics are minimal for a car of this era, unlike all the other computerised disasters-waiting-to-happen. Like all Defenders it will work better for you if you are spanner-happy and do your own maintenance and repairs - with a bit of TLC it's a great vehicle. You don't need much in the way of special tools either.

Don't believe the doom-mongers who tell you that (a) it's fragile, or (b) it's not a real Defender, or whatever - they all said exactly the same when the TD5 replaced the 300Tdi, when the 300Tdi replace the 200Tdi, and probably all the way back to the Series 2 replacing the original Land-Rover.

Who is running a puma landy? U got a 110 puma about 2 months ago and it's night and day from my memories of 90 and 110 of old and the puma goes v well (for a landy) but wondered what milage the engine is good for? A few landy people have said it's not as strong as a 300tdi/td5 just wondered on others thoughts.

Hi IAN SEEN A 65REG yesterday mate top of the range 110 xs station wagon the paint work on it was awful orange Pilley well that's £35k truck that's madness the quality has dropped right off on the new ones people are just buying them know last of the bunch just to say they have a lanRover are utility companies around here are using Toyotas and fords pick up thanks Jon

• 3 weeks later...