130ft redwood climb help

colwoodlandcare

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a climbing line instead of wire core, try rolling it,must I find the saw saw motion and a grounds with a pole saw and pushing the back of your line up with the little metal bit , helps, once you get past the big chunky bark it's just like the usual conny.:biggrin:

Personally I would just wait till you can take a saw with you, it would save climbing around those horrible banana branches and dead twigs.:sneaky2:

It's just a tree, except bigger than usual .:laugh1:

Spiral round the tree as you spike up if it a nice straight butt, not sure if others do this but on large butts I have found it helps plus silky in hand you can clear stubbs rather than have flip the line over them.

Or borrow a Bigshot and srt up with the aid of a pantin.

Personally I would say im not inspecting it if its coming down. 130 Feet? You will bust you balls getting up a redwood that size , they are crap to climb and crap to spike. Get some binoculars and save yourself the hassle and dont tell him .

Someone mentioned to get the crane to lift you to the top of the tree when you do it!! Its what i would do on a tree that size if the crane driver will do it . Im not 100% on the legals of it but i thought its not a safe practice procedure? H&S would come down on you and the driver for it so make sure your aware of whos around you when you do it.

As for the tree Its all about the weight and what the crane can lift at that height. Taking branches off before the timber is downtime so avoid it . If u have to do the odd one or two as job dependant then so be it.

Common sense stuff really now . Dont use felling cuts with a crane just a chogging type cut 90%/ 10% I do and make sure your positioned on every lift so the wood is always going directly up and away from you. Talk to your driver check weights and work out your limits and maximise your lifts. Redwood is pretty light but the branches are heavy as fk . If you got a choice pick the irons with the longest spikes because you will slip alot on redwood bark. GL.

You can't tell someone how to dismantle a 130ft Redwood on an internet forum.

That's true, don't do it!

I have contacted H+S in the past about riding the ball, you can do it if the crane company agrees and that your RA is adequate.

But don't do it.

Just don't.

Stay at home and get the boss to do it.