Overloading lol

chrisgilltreesurgery

I thought id start a thread on 'Overloading' as I own a 3.5 ton Mitsubishi Canter and I went to tip off 3/4 of a load of conifer stems. I have wanted to have my van weighed since I bought it but had never got round to doing so until yesterday!!

3/4 full - 5180kg!

Empty - 2880kg (2 men, blower ms650, tool kit, fuel and clean up kit)

Im now thinking do I keep running the risk and avoiding VOSA or do I go for something bigger to go about my work legally?

Let me have your views and stories... :confused1:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many threads have I posted on saying '3.5T trucks are rubbish for tree work'........?

All I see is proud photos of (useless) transit vans!

If you have a 3.5t and you get pulled over after 5mins of chipping you WILL be hammered.

I know a firm that has 3.5t Ivecos with 3 men and gear they are 50kgs under weight when they drive out the yard in the morning, if it's not raining!

Sorry but a 3.5t is the dumbest piece of gear in the Arb industry.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?p12izy

I would have thought a lot of people would hesitate before admitting to regularly overloading their trucks on a public forum, especially when including links to webpages, location etc...

If I was Mr VOSA in Newcastle, I know whose yard I'd be sitting outside waiting for them to return with a load of chip next week :sneaky2:

I would have thought a lot of people would hesitate before admitting to regularly overloading their trucks on a public forum, especially when including links to webpages, location etc...

If I was Mr VOSA in Newcastle, I know whose yard I'd be sitting outside waiting for them to return with a load of chip next week :sneaky2:

:001_rolleyes: Im NEVER overweight and I live on Dartmoor if VOSA are reading:thumbup1:

We use an Iveco tipper with roller shutter tool storage. Two blokes and gear we're left with about half a ton before hitting the limit which is no problem for small jobs and mowing rounds, garden maintenance etc. But we do have a 3 way tipping trailer that we use for chipping into on bigger jobs, as well as carrying materials and waste. Works well for us.

I thought id start a thread on 'Overloading' as I own a 3.5 ton Mitsubishi Canter and I went to tip off 3/4 of a load of conifer stems. I have wanted to have my van weighed since I bought it but had never got round to doing so until yesterday!!

3/4 full - 5180kg!

Empty - 2880kg (2 men, blower ms650, tool kit, fuel and clean up kit)

Im now thinking do I keep running the risk and avoiding VOSA or do I go for something bigger to go about my work legally?

Let me have your views and stories... :confused1:

HI CHRIS you need to go on a diet mate ref VOSA theres no way of avoiding them now as you put it on the net :laugh1:jon :thumbup:

2.9T with an empty back here, with me, groundy, dog and usual gear in my Transit D/C.

I hear what you're saying Oldmill, but what do you suggest? I have no desire to go down the 'O' Licence route or run a Mog.

Maybe VOSA or whoever need to look at this and come up with some middle ground.

If Transits etc. were plated for say 4.5T, it would solve a lot of problems. We all know that they can (and probably do in some cases) handle that all day every day.

Hedgecuttings and stuff we are fine, but woodchip and cord are a different matter.

If arbs are worried, I shudder to think how other trades who run 3.5tonners get on. Builders, scrappys, scaffolders, roofers - there are some leaf springs getting some serious hammer out there.

Unfortunately the post 1997 car test being reduced to 3.5 tonne (from 7.5t) plus the 3.5 tonne break point regarding "O" licences is a bummer.

What however is the situation regarding "O" licences for ARB work?

I presume the distance from base is one factor , but surely one "owns" whatever one is carrying in the truck, plus the trucks main purpose is to transport the guys to the site and provide support whilst there.

all I know is that because we only work a standard 37 hour week, are a limited distance from the Depot, always return at night to the Depot,&

do not carry third party goods.

We are exmpt from "O" licence regs, taco nonsense, and indeed that CPC palaver.

We run a 5.2 tonner downplated to 4750 +the 3500 kg tlr and 7.5 tonner, the only bind is the bloody post 1997 reduction to 8250kg GTW (as was)

It is as much to do with the breaking capacity of the vehicle when fully loaded as it is the springs being able to take the weight.

Anyone in the business knows a 3.5t will run all day with MGVW of 5 or so tonnes. Whether it stops in time or pulls to the left or right under harsh breaking is another thing. As has been alluded to historically on threads, when overloaded one tends to drive just a bit more carefully. Looking for both the idiots that decide to pull out in front of you and the stripey cars ready to pull you over for being low to the ground or having few of your trailer lights working.

The disturbing factor for us as a company is that we spend £1000's every year to ensure our vehicles conform, are not run overloaded and our guys are qualified to drive. We look at their,(the guys), safety, protecting the company, our clients and other road users. Yes, the threat of VOSA is one of the sticks used to change our culture.

The really annoying thing for us is the number of other operators that run only or mainly 3.5t vehicles. They are significantly cheaper to run and anyone with a licence can drive them. It puts us at a major commercial disadvantage as we either have to run more vehicles to a site or bigger ones.

I can understand 1 and 2 operations running only smaller vehicles, but anyone with more staff should be ashamed if they don't aim to abide by their legal duties as both a road user and an employer.