Overloading lol

chrisgilltreesurgery

There are lots of different solutions, like you say choose what works for you.

For me, transit sized trucks don't have any practical purpose. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with sending employees out in a vehicle that has to be overloaded in order to get the job done. That is not intended as a dig at you Tom, but I have been put in that position many times as an employee, and I came to the conclusion that since a driving licence is probably the most important qual I hold, it wasn't worth risking.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all break speed limits... and countless other laws what's the difference?

There is an element of bitchyness amongst transit and lorry owning tree surgeons against mog and tractor owning tree surgeons who run on red, which deep down we know we shouldn't do. And likewise there is a level of bitterness amongst mog and lorry owners towards transit owners who run overloaded. Get over it.... each unto their own...

I am in this game to make a living. its that simple, I choose the most cost effective way of running that I can. I could have one truck that does 10mpg and can only hold chip, or timber but not both. Or I could have a mog with front mount chipper and timber trailer behind.. but my current 2 vehicle setup allows me to start the guys off on a job and go and price other work, or run two teams on different jobs... Its so much more flexible and I am making good money.:001_smile:

Well said, I couldn't agree more! :thumbup:

If your vehicle is overwieght you are braking the law-simple.

No if/buts. The vehilce is plated for a reason, and the brakes etc built for that weight.

If you dont mind braking the law thats fine,its like speeding, do it at your own risk, just dont moan about it if you get caught.

If you have an accident you will most likely be uninsured. Believe me i got done for being overweight in a hire van, nothing to do with work.I was a ton over and got a £1000 fine (12 years ago). I broke the law and paid the price.

Dont go on about being some super ace arb company who is fully insured and not a cowboy and does all the risk assessments blah blah blah and then is quite prepared to drive down the road overwieght and braking law..:001_rolleyes:

PS this isnt directed at anyone, its just very amusing :lol:

Good point Stan, people bitch about firms without tickets or insurance, but

then admit to being overloaded most days :001_rolleyes:

Ran a truck company for many years, nothing worse than seeing work been done by unqualified, or running illegal... does no good to the level playing field causes unfair differences on pricing.

As mentioned you will not cause a change in the law, we must operate within it, guys on here have spent a fortune in time and effort to get HGV/CPC/'O' licensing, then further monies on 6/8/12 weekly's, then buying a suitable vehicle to do the job..... If you are overweight, then it is not suitable!!!!

Sorry if this seems harsh on the 3.5ton owners, but not as harsh as VOSA will be!

Steve

Thats kind of my point really there are loads of other people in all types of trades flouting weights, the ones who stick by the law are at a big disadvantage. I am not saying I run overloaded all the time, I take the tractor if there is a lot of stuff. As for being qualified and insured... no one has ever asked me how much my van weighs... been asked for quals and insurance plenty of times.

If they really wanted to stop this they could. Like I said earlier there are loads of builders and landscapers towing plant which is way over the weight limit, and they only need to look at the plates to see...

Well just to clear my name in this slagging match im looking to get a Unimog U20 from Alex Price!

My 3.5ton Canter is now up for sale, so is my Timberwolf 190 road-tow and also my single cab 1999 Hilux Mk4.

Im going legit.

Big bucks to be spent, but this is my livelyhood which put food on the table and a roof over the heads of my family so the decision was easy for me.

My excuse is that I presumed I was overweight on occasions but didn't realise to what extent until I got my sorry ass to the weigh-bridge, and what a shock!

By no means do any of you have to listen to me but Id go to the weigh bridge even if its for your piece of mind. :thumbup1:

Its been an interesting thread with lots of different comments, some ive liked, some that got my back up, but most of all its helped me make the right decision for the future of my business and If my fellow 3.5 tonners are reading then you know what to do.

In northumberland and Newcastle I think in 10 years ive only comer across 2 companies who use 6.5ton and above!!

This is frightening as there are so many small 3 man team tree surgery companies up here, problem is in my eyes is that there is just not the disposable income up in the north, therefore people in Arb do try their best to keep within the boundaries of the law but it is hard when your running a small business that you and your family rely on.

Cheers lads

Chris

i run a double cab tranny with steel tipping chip box --- 2.7 on the bridge with tools ... im always aware of weight hence 5 trips inc trailer to shift large ash this weekend.... and if im honest maybe i was even overweight each time and it wasnt full...

thou upgraded springs help the look of a stable load

i once seen a builders tipper with the tow bar on the deck and the springs looking very very unhappy .....

Well just to clear my name in this slagging match im looking to get a Unimog U20 from Alex Price!

My 3.5ton Canter is now up for sale, so is my Timberwolf 190 road-tow and also my single cab 1999 Hilux Mk4.

Im going legit.

Big bucks to be spent, but this is my livelyhood which put food on the table and a roof over the heads of my family so the decision was easy for me.

My excuse is that I presumed I was overweight on occasions but didn't realise to what extent until I got my sorry ass to the weigh-bridge, and what a shock!

By no means do any of you have to listen to me but Id go to the weigh bridge even if its for your piece of mind. :thumbup1:

Its been an interesting thread with lots of different comments, some ive liked, some that got my back up, but most of all its helped me make the right decision for the future of my business and If my fellow 3.5 tonners are reading then you know what to do.

In northumberland and Newcastle I think in 10 years ive only comer across 2 companies who use 6.5ton and above!!

This is frightening as there are so many small 3 man team tree surgery companies up here, problem is in my eyes is that there is just not the disposable income up in the north, therefore people in Arb do try their best to keep within the boundaries of the law but it is hard when your running a small business that you and your family rely on.

Cheers lads

Chris

So one day after starting this thread you have already decided to flog the lot for a unimog?