Overloading lol

chrisgilltreesurgery

We are not the only industry who regularly run overloaded, I see loads of panel transits and others towing mini digger trailer combo's which will weigh well over the towing limit. The cops don't even need to weigh them as both the trailer and digger will be plated, all they have to do is add them up. All I know is I have been doing this for 12 years and have never been weighed, if they were hot on overweight vans no one would do it. I have seen transit pickups with at least 2 ton of sand / type one in the back, or 3 bulk bags of sand...

You will be really unlucky to get pulled and weighed... having a vehicle that looks overloaded will get you pulled, if its on its arse with sparks flying out of the back then its going to attract attention.

As for 3.5 toners being useless.... why are they so popular then??

My main considerations are: will this make me money? will this cost me money?

I bought a 53 plate transit 2 years ago, it was £5500 with 46k on the clock it has cost me nothing in repairs apart from tyres and servicing.... Thats some cheap motoring....its much cheaper on fuel than a mog (even on red) and a 7.5 tonner. I have a 3.5ton trailer as well as a 12 ton trailer for big jobs.

Not having a go at mogs, I'd have one if i didn't cover such a big area, and if I get a new yard closer to town I'll get a mog....

So you are saying its ok to break the law, as long as you dont get caught?

The reason I won't run another for tree work is simple maths:

A cubic metre of chip weighs about 350kg.

A vehicle with a 1 tonne payload can therefore carry about 3 cubic metres max.

Most Transit sized trucks have a capacity of 6-7 cubic metres, and a payload of less than 1 tonne.

7.5 tonners are even worse, 3 tonne payload, up to 15 cubic metre capacity.

If I wanted a dedicated chip truck, then I would buy a 10 or 12 tonne tipper.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Transit sized trucks have a capacity of 6-7 cubic metres, and a payload of less than 1 tonne.

Totally agree on all points Peter, but running a truck of 10t+ is simply not viable for most small 2-3 man teams, i.e. most of the companies doing treework in this country.

I have to fold my wing mirrors in to get on a domestic drive more times than I'd like as it is.

This is a serious problem, and I would be happy to approach VOSA if we can come up with a workable solution (I won't hold my breath, mind).

10 tonner is the same physical size as a 7.5 tonner, tbh there arent many places you can't get one of those. When you can't get it on a drive then the mini loader comes along, drag the stuff a bit further.

Thats why the 18 tonner and Navara combo works so well for me, small truck for getting in tight spaces, big truck for the heavy work, and I use the Nav as my family car too.

I run over weight occasionally as much as the next Arb, I think the simplest solution for most firms would be a big Ifor tt105 with a chip box on it towed behind a second vehicle. Ample payload, no o license or tacho if within 30 miles of base. I'd do it in the blink of an eye if I had space to store a trailer.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?x0xxxs

We all break speed limits... and countless other laws what's the difference?

There is an element of bitchyness amongst transit and lorry owning tree surgeons against mog and tractor owning tree surgeons who run on red, which deep down we know we shouldn't do. And likewise there is a level of bitterness amongst mog and lorry owners towards transit owners who run overloaded. Get over it.... each unto their own...

I am in this game to make a living. its that simple, I choose the most cost effective way of running that I can. I could have one truck that does 10mpg and can only hold chip, or timber but not both. Or I could have a mog with front mount chipper and timber trailer behind.. but my current 2 vehicle setup allows me to start the guys off on a job and go and price other work, or run two teams on different jobs... Its so much more flexible and I am making good money.:001_smile:

If your vehicle is overwieght you are braking the law-simple.

No if/buts. The vehilce is plated for a reason, and the brakes etc built for that weight.

If you dont mind braking the law thats fine,its like speeding, do it at your own risk, just dont moan about it if you get caught.

If you have an accident you will most likely be uninsured. Believe me i got done for being overweight in a hire van, nothing to do with work.I was a ton over and got a £1000 fine (12 years ago). I broke the law and paid the price.

Dont go on about being some super ace arb company who is fully insured and not a cowboy and does all the risk assessments blah blah blah and then is quite prepared to drive down the road overwieght and braking law..:001_rolleyes:

PS this isnt directed at anyone, its just very amusing :lol:

That works well for us too!

2 vehicles to the job, Landy & Ifor tt126, (with tacho!) Mog platform with towed chipper. (with tacho & white diesel!)

Though does take up the street!!!

2.3t of payload in Ifor, 2.7tons of chipper on mog......

Takes a lot of worry out of overloading, stress off vehicles and owner!!!

I don't think many on here would operate without the right tickets, then why operate a vehicle you know will be overloaded by coffee time.

Ran a truck company for many years, nothing worse than seeing work been done by unqualified, or running illegal... does no good to the level playing field causes unfair differences on pricing.

As mentioned you will not cause a change in the law, we must operate within it, guys on here have spent a fortune in time and effort to get HGV/CPC/'O' licensing, then further monies on 6/8/12 weekly's, then buying a suitable vehicle to do the job..... If you are overweight, then it is not suitable!!!!

Sorry if this seems harsh on the 3.5ton owners, but not as harsh as VOSA will be!

Steve