How much grease to put in timberwolf rollers??

swinny

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"there's no such thing as too much grease"........WRONG

High speed, sealed bearings should have a 30% fill of grease, some low speed bearings in dirty applications may have a little more.

This is because grease is in fact, only oil, suspended in a soap (often lithium).

The soap gives grease its thickness and stops it running away. When the grease is compressed between the ball (or rollers) and race, the soap melts and the oil is released to do its job of lowering friction between the surfaces.

Once the ball has passed, the soap immediately returns to its viscous state, suspending the oil once again. This occurs incredibly quickly, but relies on open space within the bearing for this to happen.

Too much grease means too little space, hence the soap cannot reform, the oil becomes hotter as the bearing overheats, and as it does not resolidify, it runs out of the bearing.

Greasing regularly is good, but over greasing is most certainly bad.

The correct choice of grease is also important. High temp greases are inaffective in low temp applications, and vice versa.

a few pumps of the gun every blade change. been doing this for six years with no problems

Same as, and per Matty earlier.

I do clean the slides pretty well, and grease them by hand every blade change, and that's it.

20-30 pumps? I could slide the chipper to work instead of towing it!:001_tongue:

Hi there, just wondering how much grease needs to be put in the rollers on the timberwolf 150? i have greased them in the past, don't want to over grease if thats possible? but heard them a bit today.....

need to know so can go put some more grease in them in next half hour ready for tomorrow.

CHeers

ok its not a boeing 747, if you are working it hard and its dead dry brash you are putting in it do it at the end of every day, i do mine at the end of every day no matter what im putting in it and it loves me:thumbup:

"there's no such thing as too much grease"........WRONG

High speed, sealed bearings should have a 30% fill of grease, some low speed bearings in dirty applications may have a little more.

This is because grease is in fact, only oil, suspended in a soap (often lithium).

The soap gives grease its thickness and stops it running away. When the grease is compressed between the ball (or rollers) and race, the soap melts and the oil is released to do its job of lowering friction between the surfaces.

Once the ball has passed, the soap immediately returns to its viscous state, suspending the oil once again. This occurs incredibly quickly, but relies on open space within the bearing for this to happen.

Too much grease means too little space, hence the soap cannot reform, the oil becomes hotter as the bearing overheats, and as it does not resolidify, it runs out of the bearing.

Greasing regularly is good, but over greasing is most certainly bad.

The correct choice of grease is also important. High temp greases are inaffective in low temp applications, and vice versa.

Well I will admit the statement that there is no such thing as too much grease can be taken too literally, it’s a universal term from my early days in engineering. Perhaps it has been left behind by modern interpretation, for the remainder of this millennium I will say you can’t grease a bearing too often.

Every time you grease a bearing you expel grease which by default packs the spaces and with it any air, how does that space thing work then?

I have been greasing chippers for better than 20 years and with the odd mechanical failure have yet to have a bearing fail, I have repaired other peoples machines and have seen many bearings fail through lack of lube.

A daily shot will do no harm whereas no daily shot will. Bearings need lube like we need water, a little and often.

In theory, you dont expel grease when you grease a bearing, because you should only be replacing lost grease, if there is no lost grease then there is no need to grease.

In practice, of course, we cannot tell how much grease, if any is left in the bearing, so we pump it in, often unneccesarily.

If the bearing is in good condition, with good seals, then it really does not need greasing too often. This is the theory behind 'sealed' bearings.

When the bearing is in bad condition and wont hold grease, it should really be replaced, but in practice we tend to keep them going by pumping vast amounts of grease in, which disapears quickly through bad seals and overheating.

On modern bearings in good nick, even a daily shot may be too much. Its a difficult one to call. If you grease them as infrequently as is technically correct its easy to forget to grease them at all.

These comments obviously refer to bearings in general, not to the specific ones mentioned by the OP. I would follow the makers instructions, they know best.