Whats the weather like near you?

mendiplogs

Absolutely batshit bonkers. Had heavy snow last night which actually settled followed by lashing rain and storm forecast now .Never ever known anything like it. Was looking at some statistics; we've had here almost 2/3 of the years annual rainfall already - in less than 3 months. October thru December '23 were the wettest in 30 years. And February and March this year the wettest ever recorded. Crop yields this year approaching apocalyptic failure.

On 28/03/2024 at 08:09, Whoppa Choppa said:

Absolutely batshit bonkers. Had heavy snow last night which actually settled followed by lashing rain and storm forecast now .Never ever known anything like it. Was looking at some statistics; we've had here almost 2/3 of the years annual rainfall already - in less than 3 months. October thru December '23 were the wettest in 30 years. And February and March this year the wettest ever recorded. Crop yields this year approaching apocalyptic failure.

With my farming hat on, I too have seen nothing like it in over fifty years of farming.  Wheat fields decimated and hardly a Spring crop sown.  My Miscanthus contractor has not cut even one acre anywhere and he covers a large area in the North.  Pools of water, mud everywhere.  Approaching Cuckoo barley territory now. Cannot go in the woods without making a filthy mess and even winching logs out from the roadways has the same result.  At least managed to bring enough logs back to the yard to process under cover.

18 minutes ago, Billhook said:

With my farming hat on, I too have seen nothing like it in over fifty years of farming.  Wheat fields decimated and hardly a Spring crop sown.  My Miscanthus contractor has not cut even one acre anywhere and he covers a large area in the North.  Pools of water, mud everywhere.  Approaching Cuckoo barley territory now. Cannot go in the woods without making a filthy mess and even winching logs out from the roadways has the same result.  At least managed to bring enough logs back to the yard to process under cover.

Can I pop your farming hat on for a second ? Round here , on the chalk , its usually barley . Crops are rotated of course but predominantly barley . Thing is there seems to be an abundance of oil seed rape everywhere this year . Is the price per ton expected to shoot up come harvest ?

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Can I pop your farming hat on for a second ? Round here , on the chalk , its usually barley . Crops are rotated of course but predominantly barley . Thing is there seems to be an abundance of oil seed rape everywhere this year . Is the price per ton expected to shoot up come harvest ?

I’d say it’s block cropping and it’s just all the fields near the road this year. OSR is always a gamble with regards to the weather and establishment and even more so without flea beetle seed treatments after the ban. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doobin said:

I’d say it’s block cropping and it’s just all the fields near the road this year. OSR is always a gamble with regards to the weather and establishment and even more so without flea beetle seed treatments after the ban. 

Its not just the fields near the roads Rubin . From Lavant  village all the way up to the top of St Roches hill is OSR .

8 hours ago, Stubby said:

Probably because it was drilled early and was established before the rains really came down and had its head above water especially over chalk hills.  Cannot see any particular reason why it would make more money since there is so much of it

Wheat and Barley however another matter and if this goes on the poor buggers trying to put their potatoes, Spring Beans and Barley, Beet and Veg in will be really suffering 

• Like 1