Rope Wrench feedback

Got some time on the job yesterday to have a play with the WR.

Nothing special tree wise but enough to give it a good run, twin stemmed sycamore with some rigging.

So I set my line with throw line as usual then tied off at the base with a wrap & a running bowline. I found the assent on spikes easier than normal as every pull on my line took up all the slack I pulled through.

I found limb walks almost the same as with my DRT apart from concentrating on putting more weight on my legs & a little more balance on returns as the mechanical advantage of DRT is lost, but this was not a problem as return seemed quicker as again all the slack tended again felt quicker & less effort due to other parts of my body working to compensate less dependence on the ropes mec advantage to haul in.

I went back to DRT for the block down for some reason as I was not thinking & didn't see that I could have set a better system for decent with a running bowline & stopper knot instead of my usual method. (not sure if that is the correct way though, I will have to skim through the vast thread to see how others do this)

I look foreword to monday & what the day mite bring so I can have another go on the RW again. Hopefully a reduction so I can see what a proper climb without spikes is like.

I enjoyed my first proper climb on an SRT system. Cheers Kevin & all that have posted & opened my mind to try a new thing:thumbup:

Had a play yesterday afternoon.

Bagged into a medium sized HC next to my place, sent up a running bowline to see what mid-air ascent is like (easy!) then literally pulled the pin and Ddrt'd to a 50' ish TIP. Descended, then went back up.

Wow. The last time I reached 50' in a tree without puffing was using a MEWP!

One thing I will say is that on FINAL descent from a tree I will switch to Ddrt because of the simplicity, no long tails or savers to release or basal tie offs to worry about.

I appreciate how much wear the RW saves on my hitch cord, but it's a bit of a moot point because it slightly increases the wear on my rope instead. That's a fact, not a dig at my new favourite piece of kit!

IMG_1629.jpg.cc9b2bd59df526f1d16d819b4f828a93.jpg

few questions if ya dont mind!

how are people securing the line at the base of the tree??

i was thinking of getting a chunky split tail for this, plus i like the ability to lower in rescue but also like the technique of isolating the anchor fork with an alpine butterfly.

is there a way of doing both?

otherwise ill have to way up the odds of cutting the rope down the back of the tree or cutting myself preferably neither.

thanks hope this makes some sense.

cheers carl.