Tell us your best engineering bodges

gensetsteve

Washing machine motor control board fried - repaired it with fuse wire - the water pump went - full of water let in by a very loose motor shaft causing wear in the nylon housing - JB welded a new bit of nylon on to support the shaft, drilled a hole in the end of it to let the water out and screwed in a wood screw to take up the shaft end float - still running 5 years later:001_rolleyes::lol::thumbup:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months ago the bearing on the radiator fan failed on the mog whist we were heading down the M6.

I got the back pack blower, stuck the pipe through the front grill, tied it to the front mount chipper and put it on full rev's, got us home.

No good relying on forward speed to get air over the rad then??:laugh1:

Also had a Bedford CF in the early 80's and the fuel pump failed on that too. I was about 5 miles from home, so I routed the fuel supply through the old primer bulb type windscreen washer pump and pushed the pump every few seconds to keep the carb full. Got home but my left thumb ached for days after.

Throttle cable on the old nuffield we had when I was on yts snapped one day, drove it back to the yard with a pair of mole grips attached and then joined it back together with a snare key.

Put a new alternator on my ford tractor, after a few hours work and in middle of a flail mowing job, the pully twisted itself off the shaft and threw the fan belt, rang my brother to see if he could borrow pair of tights off sister in law and meet me at the job, finished mowing, tied the tights on to provide temporary fan belt and stopped at the river on the way home to top the water up as had got bit warm while fan belt was off :thumbup1:

1, if return spring brakes on 37x wind a chain link down spring you can do it without taking it off and away you go

2, front track rod ends on 2wd tractors, if cup comes off ball, cut an old tractor inner tube into a gaint rubber band , put one end over top nut and stretch it over and under until you run out of rubber band and stretch back over nut, it will keep the track rod together but the rubber will give you plenty of give to be able to steer , i have a 655c digger thats had one one 18 month!

3, if you snap the little bobble bit off a throtle cable , use a pin out of a 3 pin electirc plug , one with the little brass screws

thats all for now before the HSE land at the door :001_smile: