accident NWS

Jason James Gairn

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to read the paragraph again.

He isn't implying a great big gash in his arm is positive, more-so that the thread serves as a warning to someone, anyone, who may be find themselves in a similar situation today/tomorrow/next week...

I had a chat with some young arb students today about the accident and the general consensus was that having such an accident is no biggie as everybody seems to heal ok, "2 months holiday - sweet!". So how can the sharing of these incidents really serve as a warning?! What the industry needs is role models that will not do that sort of stuff full stop and who will beat it into their new staff/work placement students/etc that they will not accept that sort of behaviour in their work place. If anybody finds themself in a similar situation, then I'm sorry but it's too late, s/he will already have cut themselves...

So how can the sharing of these incidents really serve as a warning?!

I never meant that it was a cast iron, guaranteed to work, warning to everyone...I think it's pretty clear that James hoped it may serve as a warning to someone, anyone...Thats the way I read it. Take it for what it is and stop trying to heal the world...I'll be cutting and holding in the near future as most of the arbs on here will, and most of the students you spoke to as well...it's part of the job I am afraid.

I think to the un-sceptical, the message that came across from James original post is what can happen when cutting and holding with crossed arms, of course we all know what CAN happen, but it may serve as a warning..(see what I did there)..for some of us to see a graphic photo of the consequences.

I think there is a real problem in our industry with youngsters (and some not so young) being drawn to what they see as a macho, mega dangerous occupation.

I find it very irritating when I continually read on here how dangerous our job is and how butch we all are for doing it!

I honestly believe that there is only "potential" danger which is normally avoidable.

As I have said before there is a big difference between something that is scary, IE dangling on a piece of rope 60' up may be scary, but it is NOT dangerous, IMO.

I some times think that tree work is a little like the police force or politics, in that sometimes a too stronger desire to do the job should should exclude you from doing it.

All the best fallers and climbers I have meet do not rant on about how brave they are and how dangerous their job is. They did not have scares either, or if they did they didn't show me.

In real terms scares are a permanent reminder of failure.

I thank Jason for posting his pic's as they made me feel sick an help to make the reality of what can happen clear.

I had a chat with some young arb students today about the accident and the general consensus was that having such an accident is no biggie as everybody seems to heal ok, "2 months holiday - sweet!". So how can the sharing of these incidents really serve as a warning?! What the industry needs is role models that will not do that sort of stuff full stop and who will beat it into their new staff/work placement students/etc that they will not accept that sort of behaviour in their work place. If anybody finds themself in a similar situation, then I'm sorry but it's too late, s/he will already have cut themselves...

I wasn't going to add to this thread because so much good stuff has been said- however, Linda -Et Al, has hit the nail on the head here and I have seen way tooo much of this 'attitude' mentioned. Our industry will keep having the appalling injuries we have until something is done properly. I have berated climbers on site- for just this sort of cutting and just been called 'a c-n- ' for it. I do not want to go to work and have to pick up the casualty off the deck one day.

It is about time the AA, HSE, ISA, ect started showing if they have 'the teeth' for this job -or just pack up an SHUT UP.

K ( PM me if you have a solution / suggestions -cos' I am at a loss.....)

I have berated climbers on site- for just this sort of cutting and just been called 'a c-n- ' for it.

If that is you chosen method of educating climbers i'm not suprised you get such a response. I'd probably give you the identical reply(worse to be honest) if you spoke to me in that manner.

It is about time the AA, HSE, ISA, ect started showing if they have 'the teeth' for this job -or just pack up an SHUT UP.

This is not an issue of further legislation, as it is already deemed unacceptable, and deffo not "good practice". So why would you ask the HSE and arbritary self appointed and non regulated bodies to remedy your issues?

This is not an issue of further legislation, as it is already deemed unacceptable, and deffo not "good practice". So why would you ask the HSE and arbritary self appointed and non regulated bodies to remedy your issues?

Because it is the arb organisations (AA/ISA) and HSE who are making the effort to get some sort of consistency across the industry. If they didn't exist, neither would NPTCs, RFS, ISA Cert Arb, AA Tech, LOLER PPE etc.