self employed

beechhunter

I know what your saying, and I agree if you need peace of mind then get insurance. In your example insurance was required because he was working where there were "passers" by.

I have alway said the the main contractor carrying out work in any public location should have insurance. My main issue is everyone on site having their own seperate policies because they think they are subcontracotrs. Thats where it all goes silly.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know where you are coming from, I have just renewed my p/l and employers insurance and it has a section that's covers labour only contractors, this covers someone who has no insurance as they come labour only. I also have bonafide subcontractors insurance which as far as I am aware if I give a job to do to a team of lads who are insured they are them covered by mine. I think that's how it works.

It was a strummer mate.

Another point on insurance, if you ring an insurance company up and ask if you need insurance then of course they will say yes, when as rupe says if you are working for company's then you should be covered by theirs but if you are going to be doing your own works then maybe look into it. I got a quote go P/l recently from Arbinsure and it was about £350 per year, it goes off your turnover.

from my understanding, if you dont use 'bona fide subbys' i.e they have there own insurance and use labour only subcontractors then you must have employees liability which will push up your premium a bit, At the end of the day a few hundred quid a year for your own ass to be covered isnt that much, it also makes you look and sound more legit, keep a copy in your van, quote book etc, to show customers should they ask. Also dont be afriad to ask other companies for copies of their insurance when you sub to them, If you are the bloke with the saw in his hand should it all go wrong you can bet your back teeth that some one some where will want to try and make you pay for it all.

from my understanding, if you dont use 'bona fide subbys' i.e they have there own insurance and use labour only subcontractors then you must have employees liability which will push up your premium a bit, At the end of the day a few hundred quid a year for your own ass to be covered isnt that much, it also makes you look and sound more legit, keep a copy in your van, quote book etc, to show customers should they ask. Also dont be afriad to ask other companies for copies of their insurance when you sub to them, If you are the bloke with the saw in his hand should it all go wrong you can bet your back teeth that some one some where will want to try and make you pay for it all.

Sound advice, it can be all to easy to shake someones hand and think it'll never happen to me... I'll defo be asking to see the insurance with new companies... cheers Dilz :thumbup1:

• 8 months later...
Hi just got PL ins for £94.00 for year inc tree work upto 5m high . Can also be payed at £7.00 per month . 1 million cover . Dont seem to bad let me know what you think .

Do you not do much tree work mate? Surely you need no height restrictions?