self employed

beechhunter

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to jump on this one,beechhunter,Rupe I do the same type of work, as in I contract myself to a small company but do my own work, and have been searching for ages to get a good deal on insurance, what about if you on your own (as self employed) carry out work privately what insurance (minimum) do you need as a rule of thumb as alot lot of the time you need to say what percentage of your time your are using machines or are off the ground, I;m not a climber just for example, thanks for advice on this one

RH

Legally, none.

If your not a climber then what do you want insurance for? If your mostly working for others (and insured while you do) then you dont need insurance for any small sideline jobs you get.

Look at what the worst damage you can do? If its a broken greenhouse or window pane then then no worries.

If there is a chance that a mistake by you could lead to a schoolbus full of kids going over a cliff then maybe you should get some insurance.

What do you mean by you "contract" yourself to a small company? What kind of contract?

I disagree with rupe on this, a gardener mate of mine was strimming last year and a stone kicked up and hit a passer by in the face, the case went to court and even luckily my Mates public liability insurance dealt with the outcome. Even if you do the odd job for yourself and contract for others then some form of P/L is for peace of mind, in today's society of where there is blame there is a claim then how can people afford not to have insurance.