post your motorbikes

WoodED

1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

Yeah, serves me right for being a smart ass and I do vaguely remember that Villiers carb.. screw on floatbowl or just held up in the centre by a brass nut and fibre washer? I might remember that wrong, but thinking about it I'll go for the latter.

I don't remember ever seeing a 10e but plenty of 11's... it's so long ago.

Many of the Villiers engines that I had contact with back in the early 70's were in go karts or invalid carriages, they had more torque than the average 2 stroke due to the large brass flywheel, the first engine I ever stripped down was a 6e.. the Albion gearbox had 3 forward gears + reverse👍

I think I've still got a Villiers 150 cc that came out of a James. Cheers.

Yes, that is right, held up in the centre by a single nut and fibre washer as you say, The tubular nut screws up the brass centre post thingy [with the needle jet hole for the carb needle at its top end]. No throttle stop either, so when you stop at a junction you have to "catch" it and keep it running with the throttle.

A 10E was only fitted to francis barnetts. They got villiers to churn them out specially. They were exactly the same as a 9E though apart from the cosmetic appearance of the side covers. The 11E was a modified 9E that was fitted to the invalid carriages.

The 150 you have is called a 30C i think. A 150 with a 3 speed gearbox.

My 9E [i have several of them] has the big brass flywheel as you say..

Here is another of my engines. This one is a 10E fitted to a stand i made to hold the things while i worked on them..

john..

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, john87 said:

Yes, that is right, held up in the centre by a single nut and fibre washer as you say, The tubular nut screws up the brass centre post thingy [with the needle jet hole for the carb needle at its top end]. No throttle stop either, so when you stop at a junction you have to "catch" it and keep it running with the throttle.

A 10E was only fitted to francis barnetts. They got villiers to churn them out specially. They were exactly the same as a 9E though apart from the cosmetic appearance of the side covers. The 11E was a modified 9E that was fitted to the invalid carriages.

The 150 you have is called a 30C i think. A 150 with a 3 speed gearbox.

My 9E [i have several of them] has the big brass flywheel as you say..

Here is another of my engines. This one is a 10E fitted to a stand i made to hold the things while i worked on them..

john..

1.JPG

2.JPG

I can see your a Villiers buff, the engine in the test bed proves that..

So I kind of understand the lure of these old and forgotten utility engines which developed into bikes, the thing is as you will know, they are a type of 2 stroke engine that produced power in a way that's not common today, and quite enjoyably different.. the large external flywheel provided a torque equivalent to many of the small single cylinder 4 stroke they were in competition with at the time.

The main quirk of some of  the 11e's was the self starter built into the flywheel coils along with 2 setts of points one set BTDC and another set after to the same degree... so in order to reverse you stop the engine, flick a switch and restart it in the other direction.

If I had 1 main bug bear about these old engines it would be the old 2T oil mix.. I'd be interested in how these oldies might of run on modern oil at say, 50 / 1 fully synth.

I run my old outboards 100 / 1 Stihl ultra 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, john87 said:

Was the Arrow was a 200?? I know the leader was a 250 or did the Arrow come in two sizes??

john..

Yes John there was a 200cc arrow but not so many about . There was also a " low " compression head version of the 250cc bike . The lower comp heads had the spark plug protruding from each head at a slight angle rather than at 90 degrees . And then there was the Golden Arrow with twin Amal carbs .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

It's a beast.IMG_2329.thumb.JPG.d6f4a1056ec016a6000146ae477ace52.JPG

Looks mega. I spent my earlier life rebuilding the originals and I gotta say I think they have done a very good job of continuing the brand into the 21st century .... although I've never ridden one👍

On 05/06/2022 at 12:41, coppice cutter said:

I bought this twenty something years ago for £1450.

Haven't ridden it for 20 odd years, but I still have it stuffed away in a corner among a clatter of other things with an old duvet over it.

Sometime I'll trail it out and get it going again and get it cleaned up.

RG.jpg

Awesome bit of kit the likes of which we definitely won’t see again. A good investment too, easy 20k plus nowadays. 
Talking of 2 strokes the lads 125 KTM has nipped up big time, another job once onshore. 

E94EB22F-5D21-4B71-8BB9-28AFF11E45E3.jpeg

5F5DC36D-79E5-41B9-B3AB-8B15AF7ADF82.jpeg

• Like 1