improvised chainsaw trousers

danroker1987

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but the flipside of that argument is also that we are constantly told that we need this stuff by those that make these products. There are a gazillio products out there that are unnecessary, but a manufacturer will tell us its the next top thing to have to have, and sometimes even stop selling the existing model so that we have no choice but to buy the so-called improved version......eg the ms362 chainsaw etc etc. The cynic in me wonders for whose benefit this R&D is actually carried out:sneaky2:

I do agree to a degree. But unfortunately its other people that have moved the goalposts, MS362 and the new 201T are having to change because of emission laws, I'm sure Stihl would have liked to keep the 200T for ever.

As for trousers well we dealers have been well stitched up there by the railways, first comes must wear orange Class 1 Type C so we put £20K + on the shelf. Then probably the same person has now decided that they have to be Class 2 Type C. So all the manufactures are now forced by some numpty in an office to go and redesign a pair of trousers that will be to hot to work in. Now all the old orange trousers are being sold off at silly prices.

And you lot are having to pay through the roof for a pair of trousers that you didn't want in the first place.

Don't forget you can still buy the thick old ones from 10 years ago they are still made and we still keep them on the shelf. Price is under £100 a pair, for a solid bomb proof pair of trousers.:001_smile:

This is not a rant at anyone just letting you know the facts from the dealer side.:001_smile:

I've got a picture of my bloody knee after a ms200t went through a pair of stretch airs when the chain was slowing down

Originally Posted by High Scale

Because they are not very good?

"Actually I have a picture of my friends bloody knee after a MS200t chain went straight through a pair of HiFlex and that was on a chain slow down."

Remember guys that these trousers have now done the job they were designed for. Both your acidents could have been alot worse than just a bloody knee. see the video on the other thread where they put a saw into a ham, this could have been your legs!!!

During the very expensive testing proceedure, to test the trousers the saw is first calibratied at 20m/s, then it is brought back up to speed. As it is dropped on to the trousers all the power is taken off the saw so the test is on a slow down, not on a full power.

You want higher protection to combat the saws which you are using which vastly exceed the 20m/s which both Hi-Flex and Stretch-Air are designed too; come to think of it the majority of the trousers on the market are? Higher protection is already available and has been available in Class 2 protection @ 24m/s for sometime now. Unfortunatly people claim they are to heavy and not sold in the numbers like class 1.

I guess there is a lot of R&D going on at the moment to design and produce lighter materials. Should these companies stop investing their money now? or should they try their best to satisfy eveyones needs.

Protection is a line of defence not unltimate armour.

Is that a kind of Armour thats made up from lots of thin layers of Armour being glued together?Or is it like inanimate Armour that dosn't do anyhing and just sits there?

Thanks for pointing that out Mike, an early morning typo error.

• 1 year later...

'Take a look at the new trousers on the market like Waipoua A's and C's from yes you guessed it !! available now from most of the major Arb dealers in the UK.'

In my opinion these trousers are crap. They may be comfortable but they rip too easily and mine only lasted me 6 months of hard work

i dont know what you all do but, SIP freedom trousers two years old and still going strong. (one patch, iron on so no worries about the stiching) good fit and comfortable.

p.s with the iorn on patch, the trick is to use two, one on the inside stuck to the back of the outer, then one on the outside, so the wife says lol

if anybody would care to check the baileys catalogue, youll find that its possible to buy work style cargo pants and jeans which are designed to take balistic panels into pockets, these are the type that most of the west coast loggers use, when the trousers wear out you simply change out the panels, depending on what your doing you can get class 1, 2, or 3 inserts. and funny enough the european chainsaw trouser manufacturers cant seem to get a big foothold in the usa, strange that, is it not,

i dont know what you all do but, SIP freedom trousers two years old and still going strong. (one patch, iron on so no worries about the stiching) good fit and comfortable.

p.s with the iorn on patch, the trick is to use two, one on the inside stuck to the back of the outer, then one on the outside, so the wife says lol

im also a freedom c man. though mine have seen better days really :blushing: still good pants!