Great Climbers...Born or made?

Mike Hill

very interesting and may be in 10 years i may have more insighit into it.

My youngest son is made on tree climbing he is 6, now i am encouraging him to do it but getting him in a harness and ropes.

I don`t know if he will continue to climb after a vervous moment or he will give up.

am i right in encouraging him at this age?

should i be letting him free climb first then give him a harness?

I hope he will take up a life climbing trees as i feel it is a great way to earn money.

I wish i took up arb instead of agri but hey ho i do enjoy working with trees now.

I look forward to reading your thoughts

Did anyone start climbing with ropes and harness at this sort of age and how you getting on now? was you to of the class at college?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My youngest son is made on tree climbing he is 6, now i am encouraging him to do it but getting him in a harness and ropes.

I don`t know if he will continue to climb after a vervous moment or he will give up.

I hope he will take up a life climbing trees as i feel it is a great way to earn money.

I wish i took up arb instead of agri but hey ho i do enjoy working with trees now.

Did anyone start climbing with ropes and harness at this sort of age and how you getting on now? was you to of the class at college?

Harness are for work......kids should climb free, they'll learn good balance and judgement skills, and what A&E looks/smells like! Hopefully once they are put off going to A&E too often they will make good tree workers in the future.

Harness are for work......kids should climb free, they'll learn good balance and judgement skills, and what A&E looks/smells like! Hopefully once they are put off going to A&E too often they will make good tree workers in the future.

:congrats::congrats:

My six year old is getting a fair bit of oportunity, with free climbing and rope & harness, but I'm mindful not to push it beyond what he & his mother are comfortable with.

So I'd like to think it's maybe in his blood, & will be watching progress with great interest over the next few years to see where/how it goes.

Due to circumstance, I took the path of middle management, right at the time (1998) when I should have been stretching my horizons & climbing goals.

These days, when I (rarely) get up and around a canopy, I rue missed oportunities.

silly me :001_rolleyes:

Hats off to those of you that fully expressed your style & skill, and have reached the very top of your individual trees. :thumbup1:

IMG_1202.JPG.11542e8e6c46bf82a3568fee978ccf19.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG.43b42fa647d2c0330ec7e436cb77ad36.JPG

P8150158.JPG.37f7847b74727be778643cf8cfbb67ef.JPG

DSC05207.JPG.54cd6b99f9115f14323357c0fec40a8b.JPG

P3060002.JPG.0fb50b916732e7881036511a64259e07.JPG

Trees were a very hard transition, so I'm not sure if any previous climbing experience helped or not. Of course it helped to know knots and stuff, but tree technique is nothing like rock, and tree gear then was primitive by comparison. Karabiners??

Interesting i once had a very good rock cilmber work with me i thought he would be great quickly.

But after years on the rocks he just could not get his head around climbing in 3 d ,I could clearly see the routes he needed to take and try and tell him but he just did not get it!!

I think as some one said in mikes other thread,its all about an ability to push your self to the limit,some people have it some dont... thats what makes a good climber if you can push it and keep a cool head with out doing any thing rash or behond your limits or the equipment and staff your working with.

Interesting i once had a very good rock cilmber work with me i thought he would be great quickly.

But after years on the rocks he just could not get his head around climbing in 3 d ,I could clearly see the routes he needed to take and try and tell him but he just did not get it!!

I think as some one said in mikes other thread,its all about an ability to push your self to the limit,some people have it some dont... thats what makes a good climber if you can push it and keep a cool head with out doing any thing rash or behond your limits or the equipment and staff your working with.

I once tried to explain that 3D thing to someone (a rock climber) and failed, but that is exactly right. And its that very thing that now makes me prefer trees over anything else, you are climbing in 3D, and whilst thats hard at first once you can plan ahead its awsome and give more freedom than rock climbing IMO. Although we are of course limited by overall height, but I always had problems once beyond the first pitch (rope length) of a rock climb so I was always limited by that.

Maybe caving is similar, in the 3D sense, but now way I'm going down a hole when I could go up in the air instead!