Great Climbers...Born or made?

Mike Hill

Its bound to be true, there will be an element of genetics in the level of apititude in any profession. This was recently proved in city traders and though it will be harder to prove I am sure it will be the case in loads of other professions.

Why not try the finger test?

Its what they used in the city traders example and also in atheletes. You measure the length of your index finger and then your third finger on the right hand (measure from the crease closest to the palm ) Then divide the length of the index finger by the middle finger, the lower the number the "sportier" you are.

I get 78 and 85mm so thats about 0.92:001_smile:

I'm off to look up the national average now if I can, post yours up, it will be interesting to see if us tree surgeons are above (below) average.:thumbup1:

both mine ar 68mm, what does that mean?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

both mine ar 68mm, what does that mean?

There seems to be loads on the net about this, it could be linked to all kinds of stuff, including your likely hood of getting cancer arthritis and heart disease!

Its not very scientific if only 2 of us put ours up, I am genuinely interested to compare us lot with the national average of 0.98 yours is 0.0.

How does one measure the ape index? or is that a joke?:001_smile:

very interesting and may be in 10 years i may have more insighit into it.

My youngest son is made on tree climbing he is 6, now i am encouraging him to do it but getting him in a harness and ropes.

am i right in encouraging him at this age?

should i be letting him free climb first then give him a harness?

Did anyone start climbing with ropes and harness at this sort of age and how you getting on now? ?

very interesting and may be in 10 years i may have more insighit into it.

My youngest son is made on tree climbing he is 6, now i am encouraging him to do it but getting him in a harness and ropes.

should i be letting him free climb first then give him a harness?

Did anyone start climbing with ropes and harness at this sort of age and how you getting on now? was you to of the class at college?

you can't get them climbing too early if tehy want to climb. My lad could climb the steps to the slide before he could walk from the bottom back to the steps. He had to crawl. Round and round and round he went. :thumbup:

Got him climbing trees free with me close by or on his own if they're lil and grass landing

thanks for the replies

I am sure the free climbing will come in time,

He just wants to pretend he is cutting trees and climbing like a tree surgeon.

I can`t see it will do him any harm , hope to get him up some decent height trees this week.

Don`t get me wrong he will free climb the small lilac in the garden and some laurel hedge that has neve been cut.