Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

I don't think it will go brown, I'v never seen it done like that before , a reduction, on that sp , like that, but understanding the structural implications I think you'v done a really good job, its still got good form and as you have not reduced the overall canopy excessively, just thinned, as a means of reducing water uptake its a great compromise, whats the timescale for further reductions with a view to at some point in time fully removing? and was it specified or your own well thought out idea:thumbup1: and how long did it take you? its good to think outside the box.

In all honesty I turned up for work to get the spec and even I said whos bright idea was this! it took 1 and a half days, and was as fiddly a job as ive ever done.

it was not just thinned, EVERY single branch was reduced.

In a sadistic way I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of doing something ive never done before or was even aware of how much I could achieve given the spec. One part of our whole thinking is aesthetics, its why we get the jobs we do. Our client base repeatedly comment on this aspect, and it certainly sets us apart in our client base.

Some say that we should not be doing treework for asthetics, but 99% of the time were called in for reasons other than aesthetics, but WE are called because the clients dont want the objective achieved at the cost of aesthetics.

many firms still think that the old school hack jobs like Hucks proposal is what represents good value for money, this is far from the truth of it.

The public are wiseing up to what is achievable, and most in fact dont really want to see a flat topped connie bashing, or a stumpy beech that once was graceful.

I honestly believe that a lot of guys actually believe that they are doing a great job and doing right by their clients. I reckon 7-8 times out of ten shown the difference they would choose a fine crafted reduction to a hack and slash, something I did not think some years ago, glad its changed.

Of course many are also just too darn lazy to take any pride or put some thought into it.

What about the Previously mentioned ground shrinkage and cracks appearing in buildings?

Sorry, missed that bit.

Structural engineers now reckon than anything less than a 90% reduction is pointless where structural defects are already apparent due to tree proximity.

In which case I would have felled it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks really good, but I wouldn't fancy that becoming a common spec!

I admire your skill. I can't believe anyone would pay a day and a halfs work to prune a cypress. What was that 3 man days? You could have felled it for half the price.

2men 1 and half days.

a fell would have been a day for 4 men, possibly with a morning cleaning up after, but it wasnt an option as far as the client was concerned.:thumbup1:

also people tend to knee jerk at settlement cracks, 99% are minor and do not need drastic measures.

In all honesty I turned up for work to get the spec and even I said whos bright idea was this! it took 1 and a half days, and was as fiddly a job as ive ever done.

it was not just thinned, EVERY single branch was reduced.

In a sadistic way I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of doing something ive never done before or was even aware of how much I could achieve given the spec. One part of our whole thinking is aesthetics, its why we get the jobs we do. Our client base repeatedly comment on this aspect, and it certainly sets us apart in our client base.

Some say that we should not be doing treework for asthetics, but 99% of the time were called in for reasons other than aesthetics, but WE are called because the clients dont want the objective achieved at the cost of aesthetics.

many firms still think that the old school hack jobs like Hucks proposal is what represents good value for money, this is far from the truth of it.

The public are wiseing up to what is achievable, and most in fact dont really want to see a flat topped connie bashing, or a stumpy beech that once was graceful.

I honestly believe that a lot of guys actually believe that they are doing a great job and doing right by their clients. I reckon 7-8 times out of ten shown the difference they would choose a fine crafted reduction to a hack and slash, something I did not think some years ago, glad its changed.

Of course many are also just too darn lazy to take any pride or put some thought into it.

I totally agree, i prefer to only work if possible for those clients who are prepared to do what i believe is in there best interest , both for them in the long term and in the health of the tree, and that often costs a little bit more. Its a good way of building you reputation. Hack and slash is cheep and nasty and better left to those who don't care.:thumbup1:

2men 1 and half days.

a fell would have been a day for 4 men, possibly with a morning cleaning up after, but it wasnt an option as far as the client was concerned.:thumbup1:

also people tend to knee jerk at settlement cracks, 99% are minor and do not need drastic measures.

Looking at it I would have guessed 2 men 1 day to fell. 1 man half day to replant. It's a tough call you were there

I always aim to retain the tree. Specs allowing but usually felling is the simplest and best option. I would like to see an alternative but as Mark says- that is a spec from hell.

Would not fell/ replant be a better option long term.Still admire the skill in what you did

Does no one else think that in reality that tree will do one of two things, it could recover and replace the lost foliage (in which case what has been accomplished?) or it will die.

The job that has be done has been done extremely well and I think it looks much better that just halfing it and waiting for a new point to grow, but if the task is to mitigate the problem by producing a smaller tree I'm not sure thats been accomplished.

Does no one else think that in reality that tree will do one of two things, it could recover and replace the lost foliage (in which case what has been accomplished?) or it will die.

The job that has be done has been done extremely well and I think it looks much better that just halfing it and waiting for a new point to grow, but if the task is to mitigate the problem by producing a smaller tree I'm not sure thats been accomplished.

On this particular thread I'm afraid nothing but unstinting praise and breathless admiration is tolerated by the op.