Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

On this particular thread I'm afraid nothing but unstinting praise and breathless admiration is tolerated by the op.

that is quite simply one of the most insulting things, you are as patronising as they come, fortunately everyone who has any knowledge of me knows that you are so far from the mark as to be embarrassed.

It is exactly the negative perceptions that are needed in order for them to be proved right or wrong, this thread is not about me having my ego stroked.

I have enough of an ego and confidence to not need any such from anyone, and certainly your welcome to post negative remarks.

I would say however that personal digs of such a calibre only serve to make YOU sound like a tonka.

:biggrin:

that is quite simply one of the most insulting things, you are as patronising as they come, fortunately everyone who has any knowledge of me knows that you are so far from the mark as to be embarrassed.

It is exactly the negative perceptions that are needed in order for them to be proved right or wrong, this thread is not about me having my ego stroked.

I have enough of an ego and confidence to not need any such from anyone, and certainly your welcome to post negative remarks.

I would say however that personal digs of such a calibre only serve to make YOU sound like a tonka.

Posts 717 and 724 on this thread provide an idea of what I mean.......

what he said.

Tony could you elaborate on your comment on shigos CODIT please I can't stop thinking about it

What did he regret about it?

He always repeated CODIT throughout his books

Sorry if I'm being stupid

No your not being stupid, just my not elaborating what I was saying.

Basically the CODIT model was so "glorified" and taken into dogma, and as such many arborists wrongly assumed that any cuts could be made without issues as long as the branch collar was intact. This meant that a wave of arborists went around hacking trees saying that its all OK because CODIT will take care of it!

CODIT is really more approriatley termed as the compartmentalisation of dysfunction rather than decay on which it is not the compartment nor the substances that eefect decay, but the functionality and fluidity of vessels that impose limits on the vast majority but not all decay fungi.

Not all decay lead to wall 4, not all damage leads to wall four, even in the presence or rather lack of wall 4 the vast majority of fungi are confined to dysfunctional wood, hence the very outer ring of active cambium being intact (T/r) even if that ring of cambium has some dysfunctional elements they tend to be confined by the very fluid channels either side and hence forth a tree becomes a fluted trunk, sometimes ancients are nothing but a singular remnant channel of still fully functioning sapwood.

Basicaly, CODIT is not rubbish, or defunct as a model, but its being overly applied and relied upon, but we have a better understanding of these systems, CODIT was just a second part of an equation, an equation that we are still far from solving. But CODIT is not absolute and it should NEVER be relied upon as a sole excuse for a heavy hand at a collar.

suggest you PR your tongue, especially on my thread, see my edit!:lol:

Just seen this.

For the record, that was not your edit Tony, it was Steves. It even says so underneath. It was edited because of a breach of the forum rules not because you wanted it edited!

Lets be clear, having your name in the title does not give anyone any special privileges.

Posts 717 and 724 on this thread provide an idea of what I mean.......

yes, I can see why on reading the thread through NOW in the present that may be read wrong as intended, in fact I would only EVER use the PR your tongue thing to ask a poster to use more politicly correct language, because it might offend others, in the cases you mentioned They have long since been altered from their origional contend, with the PR issues addressed hence your little stupid bitching remark:lol:

get a life, you read it all wrong, I also said to tony it wasnt like him to mis read it too, I edited his remark in my qute and sugessted my version as an edit, not suggesting i did the reall edit! he actual made a slightly naughty colour coment if memory serves me well

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

yes, I can see why on reading the thread through NOW in the present that may be read wrong as intended, in fact I would only EVER use the PR your tongue thing to ask a poster to use more politicly correct language, because it might offend others, in the cases you mentioned They have long since been altered from their origional contend, with the PR issues addressed hence your little stupid bitching remark:lol:

get a life, you read it all wrong, I also said to tony it wasnt like him to mis read it too, I edited his remark in my qute and sugessted my version as an edit, not suggesting i did the reall edit! he actual made a slightly naughty colour coment if memory serves me well

Whether this confused explanation is right or not (and I would need verification from Tony or Steve) I stand by my original statement. Be as insulted as you see fit.

Whether this confused explanation is right or not (and I would need verification from Tony or Steve) I stand by my original statement. Be as insulted as you see fit.

Tony and steve I am sure will be along sooner or later, then again, maybe they like me think this whole conversation is pathetic!

trust me, you have it all wrong, certainly about me of that you can be certain.

do you really beieve that I was expecting love and glory posting reductions on an arb forum? lol dont make me laugh you nutter, :lol:

Tony,

After following this thread I find myself wondering if the whole idea of justifying heavy reductions in everyday amenity situations dangerous.

Our industry is all over the place in respect of correct pruning work by tree workers, both within the fragmented industry and in the eyes of the public.

If we have any hope of being seen as professionals surley we need some common ground, like with BS3998, which most people band around without even reading.

This thread is valuable and new ideas and new thinking is priceless but could be taken out of context.

The dogma you talk about in respect of correct pruning methods over the last twenty years have not reached the ears of the general public yet.

So much of the reduction work you discuss is similar to what the public expect anyway when they ring up and asked for their trees to be 'topped'.

I know the difference and you know the difference but should we give our urban trees a chance and go easy with the saw?

After all the jury is still out on this and you will not know the results of your labour for a few years yet.

In case there needs to be clarification, I think many of the trees I have seen on this thread will die due to over pruning in the next few years, but hey I could be wrong!