Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

An interesting way of doing it.

I'd like to see that survive- this dry spell may not help especially if it gets windy.

When you work outside the box you risk ridicule but someones got to.

We've probably got to wait till next spring to see the outcome of this.

And see the outcome we will, by the way, 2 days of hot weather do not make a dry spell!

why would wind be a problem? all branches reduced leverage's at bare minimums, many broken branches removed, broken due to end weighting!

And see the outcome we will, by the way, 2 days of hot weather do not make a dry spell!

why would wind be a problem? all branches reduced leverage's at bare minimums, many broken branches removed, broken due to end weighting!

I'm thinking the remaining foliage will have stomata that have developed through being inside the canopy and not used to dealing with drying wind. Now exposed they may not cope. Just a thought- could be wrong- a long time since we did all that stuff.

2 days of hot weather may make a summer:001_smile:

An interesting way of doing it.

I'd like to see that survive- this dry spell may not help especially if it gets windy.

When you work outside the box you risk ridicule but someones got to.

We've probably got to wait till next spring to see the outcome of this.

My comment was certainly no intended as "ridicule", just my honest opinion, which could well be wrong :001_smile:

It won't be there Matty.

Utterly pointless Tone.

Good skills though, and I like the way it looks now....

I agree, that will slowly turn a loverly shade of brown,IMO.

So just wondering what would have your recommendation of been for this tree?

At the end of the day this thread is about me showing with evidence what is doable, offering options that are viable, everyone has their opinion, and glad to hear them made too. The purpose however is to show with no uncertainty that perception and dogma is in fact as far from reality as it is possible to be.

I know what I am doing, and am out to prove that, as well as offering a different stance on the very worrying assumptions that are widely made. They are assumptions, fuelled by txts and chinese wispers, not unlike the "demons of D" dogma, or the over zealous application of the CODIT model, which a good friend who knew shigo well, told me CODIT was one of Shigo's regrets, that he had delivered a model that had seen arborists assume all will be fine if the collar was intact! Having now met many people who knew the man well enough to help me understand him, I am now much more acutely aware of the problems associated with working at the far reaches of ones field, people tend to adopt a holy grail attitude and dont look into it for themselves, dogmas prevail and a chain of events is set in motion that are far removed from the originators own ideals!

Progress is only really born from questioning everything and finding the truth for oneself, there is nothing sacred, and I can assure all those at the top of their game do not feel upset when things are questioned, they also want the truth.

I would like to think that in all my time here Ive proved time and time again that i do not do bull , that the truth is my only quest, I always used to be so incensed by negative views but these days I just see such views as opportunity to give somebody better information with which to become a more effective arb.

All I know with any certainty is that this thread has inspired many to look at things another way, and to take pride in reductions, to aspire to do work that they can have pride in. If the thread achieves nothing more than this alone I will be as I am now A very happy arborist, but I think its doing more than that, I KNOW its doing more than this.

This thread is more than I ever thought it would be, its causing many who thought otherwise to rethink, thats an awesome feat:001_cool:

of course There will always be the Skyhucks who just wont accept it, its all good, but time, well, Ive been on the scene for 25 years, and have another 25 in front of me so time will (Steve you have to keep arbtalk going for 25 more years!:lol:) prove it all in the end.

Edited by skyhuck
language

O.k, noted and will ensure a follow up is provided, interesting response.

I don't think it will go brown, I'v never seen it done like that before , a reduction, on that sp , like that, but understanding the structural implications I think you'v done a really good job, its still got good form and as you have not reduced the overall canopy excessively, just thinned, as a means of reducing water uptake its a great compromise, whats the timescale for further reductions with a view to at some point in time fully removing? and was it specified or your own well thought out idea:thumbup1: and how long did it take you? its good to think outside the box.