what is your favourite firewood??

jasonblack72

:confused1:Have you tryed?????:confused1:

I've burnt Ash within hours of felling it, winter felled is best.

I'm not saying its a good idea, but it does burn very well green.

Yes I have. It burns like any other damp wood, ie. OK if you throw it onto a blazing fire, but difficult to light.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has metioned Robinia, burns hotter than hell. Black smoke though, which I have heard is poisonous but never had a problem in that regard. Pretty careful not to let any escape from the hearth.

Thank God for that. I was keeping shtum about sneaking half a tree of it into next year's pile! But now I can quote you...!!!:001_tt2:

Yes I have. It burns like any other damp wood, ie. OK if you throw it onto a blazing fire, but difficult to light.

I can light a fire with just green Ash.

Any of the guys who have been in the game long enough to have worked before chipper were common will know just how well it burns, it simple really Ash if only 50% moisture content, most other hardwoods are between 75% and 150% ( I know that sounds daft, but it just means if its 100% MC that the water in the wood weighs the same as the wood) so Ash is obviously burn better (but not as well as dry wood)

Maybe your Ash is different to mine :001_smile: (your not confusing it with Willow are you??:001_tt2:)

I used to bin pop, willow and conny but they all go on the pile now.

As someone said, burning pure hardwoods will not last forever.

Seasoned, dry willow and conny will burn better than pretty much anything unseasoned. Especially so for woodburner customers.

I reckon you can't beat a good mix for heat and flame. Oak, ash, beam, thorn and birch - lovely.

Supplied my local pub with a load of very well seasoned ash (dead takedown) last year, and they bitched because it burnt too hot and too quickly.

I offered to p*** on the next lot.:001_tt2:

Supplied my local pub with a load of very well seasoned ash (dead takedown) last year, and they bitched because it burnt too hot and too quickly.

I offered to p*** on the next lot.:001_tt2:

I had a similar customer. First load, seasoned beech - ''burnt too fast''

Second load, seasoned ash - ''too small, burnt too fast''

Third load, seasoned birch,alder,willow in larger chunks - ''too dry. too fast''

Fourth load (!), half seasoned oak - ''too wet, needed ton of coal to burn it''

Final load,seasoned ash in larger logs, I said if she wasn't happy then not to bother with me again. Haven't heard anything yet...:001_rolleyes:

Sold a load of seasoned monterey pine two weeks ago,customer complained that it was wet ,i told it was only rain water and if he left it in the shed for a week or so it would dry out fine,his wife phoned this week asking if they could have a load,dropped at their home,i dropped a load of the same monterey as this time only,its had a week of of no rain,logs were dry as a bone,his reply was this is a much better load than the last,and told me you cant beat a good load of seasoned hardwood i just smiled a took payment.