what is your favourite firewood??

jasonblack72

I like to use birch for kindling to get the fire going then its ash all the way. Loads of heat and splits easily. Oak and beech come a close second.

Never tried Hawthone or Holly but would like too. I've some cherry seasoning for this winter which I hear produces a nice smell.

I steer well clear of London Plane and Poplar!

If you find Ash better than Beech I would suggest you are not drying your timber for long enough.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have been selling ash for twenty yrs,,,,and find it dries quicker and burns hotter than beech,,,,no brainer??

Ash will burn straight from the tree (as it has a lower water content than other timber)

Wood burner manufactures always use Beech (with a water content of 22%) for the KW hour out puts, they use Beech as it gives out more heat than most other "common" fire wood, if Ash burnt hotter I feel sure they would use that.

All the preferred fire woods will burn when not dried properly, thats why they a preferred as most people don't dry there wood enough.

The fact that you also say you avoid Pop and London Plane (both of which burn well when dry) would suggest you would benefit from drying your timber more :001_smile:

As has been said many times before on here, as long as it's bone dry, I'll burn almost anything...

For example, tonight we've got an Esse Cooker burning dry Spruce and Oak, and 2 stoves burning a mix of some very dry Larch, Beech, Sycamore, Ash and Leylandi. They all burn slightly differently with different heat outputs, but they all make for a great fire. The flame picture from the conifers when added to a stoves hot firebox is the business!

if its dry it burns,,,,cant say I`ll lose any sleep ..over it,,,,20yrs of tried and tested log sales,,and customer feedback,,they prefer,ash!!!!! I burn it all day long,,,,they and I have had other,,,london plane isnt as ready available,,,plus its worth more in planks,,,so wouldnt waste it,,,,popular when dry is fine in wood burners,,but I have a mix of customers and they dont always tell me what its for,,so as it spits I cover my ar.e,,,,it obviously burns fine as they make all the matches from it,,,if you prefer beech,,good for you,,,its nothing personell..just my experience,,,

General public goes mad for ash they will even pay extra for it .... personally i would not pay extra for it its one of the only trees that grows well around here, I live in a village called ashwell ,ash around the well so its all i have mostly in the wood stack to burn( and sycomore) but find beech so much better..... i can sell to all the bankers ash logs from ashwell and they love it though!