ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

On 19/04/2024 at 22:32, AHPP said:

The philosophical dangers of cheapening the status of genius aside, I'm a genius. Sailor cut a pad, probably romping through the broken glass that is the style around here. Wanted to press the flappy bit of pad back to the paw so it can bond back to the gristle (weird stuff...) underneath. Stitches generally not advised and would have probably required knocking him out. Pressing it in with a tight bandage and a stiff block of wadding was working but the flap would pop back off when I went in to disinfect. Ended up borrowing technique from composite repair. Instead of fibreglass cloth, steristrips. Instead of resin, superglue. The first one I settled for a rather baggy one but the rest of them I got fairly good tension on and started knitting it all into place. I reckon I've bally done it. Should be robust and waterproof enough to inspect and spritz with disinfectant. Updates as they occur. 

A207873F-E0C9-47FE-8422-2321382DFB2E.thumb.jpeg.a30e7fb0949b68d7ae8c322a747c32c0.jpeg

4CF1A214-CFEB-4760-A621-FD42477DF3A1.thumb.jpeg.96566dbc1739fcbb0e92c9cad0d3c126.jpeg

Three weeks later. Pad is stuck to his foot well enough to walk on it with no strips or bandage. Still keeping him off running, charging up banks etc but broadly speaking fixed.

Have replaced it with a different injury. He was obviously annoyed with the bandage, chewed it off and kept chewing for something to do. Less concerning, just a bit annoying that he looks like a crackhead. 

6733C0BB-8E76-43E7-A5C3-E01B0860B649.thumb.jpeg.8b32129d23c3bd3e50a17d68b1d972de.jpeg

A42D7250-DAD6-4E26-8D00-90CBEDF2261E.thumb.jpeg.690c58bc6763014679bceef728253f25.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Is the old brown one on the right curling one down on that log ?🙂

They are both sitting on it. Roast chicken carcass for dinner last night. 

• Like 2

My brown hound has learned how to crunch them down just fine, as have generations of my folks' border collies. On the other hand, my wife's girlhood springer had surgery to remove a cooked chicken bone. So it's a tricky one, really. I appreciate that it's a potential risk, but I also refuse to waste such a valuable quantity of protein. 

Oscar has only had raw and dried so far (big bags of dried chicken feet, nice cheap treat), but when the time comes for him to have a femur from the stock pot, I'll be holding on to one end of it, just as when he was learning to eat raw chicken legs.

• Like 1