Longterm firewood storage.

Tim H

Tarps are ok short term but they can trap the moisture, a big dry shed is better for long term storage.

I assume you don't burn a huge amount of wood, some people would have the firewood listed in your first post gone in a year or 2.

There's a guy I know in his late 70's, knocking on for 80 who still cuts his firewood. Another guy says "have you seen the size of his wood pile, how long does he expect to live"?!!

He was actually out with his tractor log splitter splitting wood for a firewood dealer in the last year or 2!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I bought them from Cunningham Tarpaulins in Ireland, Sandspider, but they ship Internationally and have a UK contact Number 00442879642638, (which I think in Northern Ireland). They also sell a 900 gsm cover but I reckon it would be overkill for firewood.

Edited by Tim H
Wrong address corrected
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scbk said:

Tarps are ok short term but they can trap the moisture, a big dry shed is better for long term storage.

I assume you don't burn a huge amount of wood, some people would have the firewood listed in your first post gone in a year or 2.

There's a guy I know in his late 70's, knocking on for 80 who still cuts his firewood. Another guy says "have you seen the size of his wood pile, how long does he expect to live"?!!

He was actually out with his tractor log splitter splitting wood for a firewood dealer in the last year or 2!

I reckon it's a case of the more wood you cut, and the longer you spend doing it; then the longer you can expect to live. It's a good way to stay fit and healthy for longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It would be great to have a big shed, scbk and maybe I will take the plunge and build one, if the pension permits. It would certainly give peace of mind when the big storms come roaring in.

It is heartening to hear of 'old boys' still having the interest and strength to c/s/s timber in their late 70's. 

I used to work away with an established family business, had a room with them and after work the uncle would feed us then I'd give him a hand for a few hours hand splitting, he was early 80's and could put a lot of people to shame!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scbk said:

Think you get condensation under the tarp which is in contact with the wood. Ideally you want an air gap above the wood.