Price for repairing saws

ChrisNewport

Not done any fixing machines for ages due to shit going on, was asked to look at a TS410 and MS250, 410 needed new main bearings as they had broken up, and the 250 was leaking air at the cylinder base, so both machines were completely stripped, steam cleaned, repaired and run good as new now. £45 worth of parts and took me about 4 hours. I only do this now for pin money as im semi retired from my main job but the guy is playing up that im charging him £120 for fixing both machines. Im pretty sure a repair shop would have not wanted the work so i think ive done him a favour and hes giving me grief. Rant Over.

26 minutes ago, ChrisNewport said:

Not done any fixing machines for ages due to shit going on, was asked to look at a TS410 and MS250, 410 needed new main bearings as they had broken up, and the 250 was leaking air at the cylinder base, so both machines were completely stripped, steam cleaned, repaired and run good as new now. £45 worth of parts and took me about 4 hours. I only do this now for pin money as im semi retired from my main job but the guy is playing up that im charging him £120 for fixing both machines. Im pretty sure a repair shop would have not wanted the work so i think ive done him a favour and hes giving me grief. Rant Over.

Give him a break down like you have on here . Maybe he will understand ? 

10 minutes ago, Mick Jones said:

Thats £30 an hour for four hours skilled labour. Most gardeners are on that or more. I would say your customer got a good deal. Let him take it else where next time.

£19 an hour - there are parts too,

(£120 - £45 parts, £75, for 4 hours, £19)

Got to pay for tools, tea, workshop space, tea, profit, tax, tea, insurances, and a brew once job is done.... you could probably argue that the take home pay is less than minimum wage

• Like 3

We are £50 per hour plus vat plus the parts. And that labour rate needs to go up due to the minimum wage increase recently. That hourly rate has to cover all staff involved in the repair process....the mechanic, the reception staff, the admin etc, plus business running costs. 

You did well to fix them both in that time as well....and not to find any further issues when you got them apart.

If it was in our situation we would always give the customer an estimate of costs before doing the job.....always prevents issues at a later date like yours. Even if you are doing it as a sideline 

Edited by pleasant

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Give him a break down like you have on here . Maybe he will understand ? 

Know what you're saying stubby, but shouldn't have to.  

• Like 1