Jokes???

brownie1964

7 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

13 of us in a Volvo 343GL from The Cheviot in Bellingham back to Otterburn was the record.

Steering was a bit light.

Bet the Guinness Book were interested in that achievement!

We did once have 10 in a Shogun but I don't think it counts if you end the journey in an ambulance

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

13 of us in a Volvo 343GL from The Cheviot in Bellingham back to Otterburn was the record.

Steering was a bit light.

So a nice easy straight road then!!

• Haha 1

As he came to the end of his inspection tour of the hospital's supplies department, the over zealous, box ticking jobsworth doing the audit was becoming increasingly desperate to find something, anything, to be scathing about in his report.
"What happens to the small cardboard tubes in the centre of toilet rolls when the roll is finished"?
"We collect them all, send them back to the manufacturer and every 6 months they send us a free box of toilet rolls".
"And what about the cardboard tubes in the centre of rolls of bandages"?
"Same. We collect them up and return them to the manufacturer and every 9 months they send us a free box of bandages".
Suddenly the auditor had a brilliant inspiration.
"When you perform a circumcision what happens to the bits you remove"?
"Same. We collect them all and return them to the local health authority and once a year they send us a complete dick".

• Haha 14

10 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Yes, we were dropped off at the end of the farm drive.

When it was snowing Dad used to take us down in the tractor to meet the bus.

In the summer I used to put a foot each on the three point linkage arms and hold on to the cab behind his seat.

Seemed dodgy at the time, even dodgier looking back.

10 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Just found this shot of our old school bus drop off point with the house in the background.

IMG_9521.png

We were much the same, about mile and quarter from bud stop to the farm. Got dropped there most mornings but walked back most days from about 7 year old. We used to ride in a trailer as the lift arms wouldn’t take 3 of us easily 

it never fails to amaze me how a lot of tree folk had similar practical upbringings 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Will C said:

We used to ride in a trailer as the lift arms wouldn’t take 3 of us easily 

it never fails to amaze me how a lot of tree folk had similar practical upbringings 

That second line rings so true to me. I spent all my weekends and holiday time on the dairy farm over the road, from aged 12. Learnt to drive on Fordson Majors, and A35 van. Riding on the 3 point linkage on the road.

First time of using a chainsaw I was left on my own cutting back overgrown hawthorn hedges. I was told to stand on the bonnet of the tractor so I could reach high enough, working on my own. No PPE, no chain brake, and no mobile. I survived. I wouldn't change anything if I had my early years again.

PS No Playstations or X Boxes, whatever they are. Better off building tunnels with hay bales in the barn.

• Like 6

When I was a kid we were actively encouraged to have knives and guns, a lot different than today.

Was given my first air rifle when aged 10 and my first shotgun aged 11. They were my guns and I was free to go off shooting unsupervised whenever I wanted. Can't say the shotgun got a great deal of use as we couldn't afford the shells, obviously. Even the air rifle pellets were limited and were bought in little paper type boxes of a couple of hundred.

We would go picking strawberries or something in the summer, earn a few shillings and then wander off to the local shops and buy a penknife. Probably 6-7 years old at the time and nobody batted an eyelid. Nobody got stabbed or shot either, well not seriously anyway. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 4