Van insurance prices and tactics, April 2024

AHPP

We've been in this even-more-swingeing-than-usual price rises period with van insurance for a while now. My renewal is coming around and sure enough the auto-renewal quote is in line with what I've seen people reporting over the last 6 months or so, £301 up to £574. How have people been navigating this? Just paying up? Going back to comparison sites (last year all the comparison site results were more than the auto-renewal (£292 up to £301) so I let it renew)? Arguing/haggling? 

Hastings Direct but that doesn't especially matter. This isn't another general insurance question thread and an opportunity for people to idly say try so-and-so. There are millions of those threads already. This is a specific question about this time of man.

Of course if anyone has found an insurer who is bucking the trend and making a name for themselves by keeping premiums the same for the same cover, I'd like to hear about them please.

Had my renewal for the pickup a few weeks ago from admiral. Same scenario, 570 last time up over 200 for renewal. I called, had an argument with the AI bot and it put me through to an operator as a failed call.

He asked how he could help, I said be realistic with the renewal price, he asked if I had got another quote, I said no I'm giving you the chance first but realistically I'm considering just putting pickup off the road. Few minutes later, "valued customer" etc, quote for 610 agreed.

Haggling I suppose but didn't take much effort.

• Like 1

I could be arsey and say that Facebook is for general moaning if you don't want help.

Always call them unless it's less than £50, same goes for breakdown, TV and any other bills excluding utilities as that's just a waste of oxygen dealing with the system.

And comparison websites are just the pointless work of the devil, unless you like them profiting off your information.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Hastings Direct but that doesn't especially matter. This isn't another general insurance question thread and an opportunity for people to idly say try so-and-so. There are millions of those threads already. This is a specific question about this time of man.

Of course if anyone has found an insurer who is bucking the trend and making a name for themselves by keeping premiums the same for the same cover, I'd like to hear about them please.

I have felt your pain.

It would be good to find a company who only insured drivers over 25 for instance.

• Like 1

Van insurance renewal was £372 (up from £252 previous year)

Went through topcashback compare, price was £268, and £38 cashback, so £230 in total.

Bit of faff, but it's one way to spend your evening.

• Like 1

always ring the insurance co when i get the renewal quote i seem to get 30 to 50 quid off if i renew there and then. but it has shot up this year i think they have been chatting between them selves and said let's sting them this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the hunt for a pick up, been driving for ten years or so. No points, nothing. Live in a culdesac, drive way etc and a pretty much low crime area if that makes any difference. 

And my average quote on a 6-8 year old pick up was bang on a grand on comparison sites.
 Which is just mental just to drive to site.

Looking forward to finding a company that doesn't want to pull my pants down