New top handle

Gav Green Man

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

Yeah I'm just joking around really, I don't own a 2511 and my 150s in little danger of wearing out as I basically use battery for anything small.

Cut speed's not everything, flick of the thumb and I'm half way through before I'd have finished pulling the starter cord, also really handy to put down in your lap without burning a hole in your trousers so less swinging it around out of the way.

Anyway, what about a nice T525 ?

T525 never quite did it for me.

Not really a tiny topper or a full fat takedown saw.

You’d need a 5m strop to swing a saw away from your trousers anyway.

45 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

T525 never quite did it for me.

Not really a tiny topper or a full fat takedown saw.

You’d need a 5m strop to swing a saw away from your trousers anyway.

I thought similar, its like a MS194. Not quite sure what the target audience is.

Regarding the original debate, the echo wins hands down for me. Better design, more power, less weight and the last two I've had have been phenomenally reliable, since they changed the ignition module from the earlier ones.

They do need looking after though. Clean air filters and decent petrol/lube. The MS151 is a bit more idiot proof in that respect, despite being inferior in every other way. I guess that's why some people like them. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

I thought similar, its like a MS194. Not quite sure what the target audience is.

Regarding the original debate, the echo wins hands down for me. Better design, more power, less weight and the last two I've had have been phenomenally reliable, since they changed the ignition module from the earlier ones.

They do need looking after though. Clean air filters and decent petrol/lube. The MS151 is a bit more idiot proof in that respect, despite being inferior in every other way. I guess that's why some people like them. 

Is there a year or serial number you need to get a later one than?

5 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Any one you buy new now should be good.

It will have an ‘X’ under Echo on the recoil cover.

And the serial number is laser embossed rather than printed. We're going back at least 5 years i think.

• Like 2

Full of fuel,oil scabby on with chainsaw and bar.....

3306g..... I have yet to change bolts for titanium and a couple of other mods .

This is a stock saw at the moment.

DSC_0525_073137.JPG

DSC_0526_073009.JPG

Edited by Botty Cough
  • Like 1

Only stihl saws I would buy are ms400 and 500i.. 2511 is the one for climbing , for felling off a rope and harness i would swap out to the above or a 550xp , I think ive used my 540 maybe a handful of times a year since using 2511’s but used it a lot more when I was using 150’s as they just lacked what the 2511 has in ability to chase cuts , weight and ergonomics. 

• Like 2

FTR I have one of the first 150’s and it still runs.  How many can say that about the Echo?

I have a second 150 and no drama with that saw either.  Just drill the hole in the exhaust and little retune and it is a ripper.

Yes, I know Joe and Mark will come and comment the Echo is fruitier out of the box.  

IMO, drilling one hole in the exhaust and then having a great saw is better that having a great saw and having to change the Ignition module, exhaust and air filter covers and the idle problems many have had over the years.

As for the electric Makita, it is like carrying a brick about, has next to no power and quite frankly does make you into a Homosensual if you even touch one.  🤪

IMG_8372.thumb.webp.0212ff266396c4327f42932d49a7d254.webp

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My first Echo still runs as well Rich.

The retune problems have been sorted with the second generation carbs.

Having to basically port a saw and void the warranty doesn’t say a lot about the quality of the original, does it?

You really should try an Echo some day.

• Like 1