Has anyone ever got any free wood from Arbtalk?

Mistry

I’ve put post up several times for hardwood in wokingham area on several occasions. The tree surgeon would rather pay to dump rather than off load to homes. Can anyone explain what’s to point of this site if no tree surgeons off logs. 

We have a great area to off load.

thank you.

I reckon there could be a couple of things in this.

First is you are not guaranteed to be given anything for free, signing up to a listing is not a contract to be given stuff.

Second thing you might do is type "Wokingham" in the tip site search, a quick search just then suggest that there are a lot of other tip sites near you.

On the flip side, tree surgeons will look for a tip site if the job is away from their local area, locals will usually use what they always use. Might be in a congested tip site area your site hasn't been the closest one to tree surgeons working outside their usual area.

Final thing is that the tree belongs to the customer. Unless it is very valuable the tree surgeon will take it away as a service, but a lot more people recently are assuming they logs are valuable and keeping the wood - there is less to be tipped (not necessarily true, the value in logs is added in the processing, storage, drying and delivery of firewood)1

So yes it does work, it works often at the discretion of the tree surgeons not the home owner, but you might not get enough to heat your home for free by only putting a listing on the tip site

• Like 1

I don't know anyone now that pays to tip wood.

In that area there is a commercial tip that will take logs and tip for free so we might as well tip there in one go.

You really need to offer something in return, even a nice cup of coffee goes a long way, but I would prefer cash.

I get £15 a load for chip at local allotments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mistry said:

I’ve put post up several times for hardwood in wokingham area on several occasions. The tree surgeon would rather pay to dump rather than off load to homes. Can anyone explain what’s to point of this site if no tree surgeons off logs. 

We have a great area to off load.

thank you.

Yes is the answer to your question, many thousands of loads have been dropped. 

And in case its not obvious, the point of the site is for tree surgeons to find a site when they are in a fix. Its not an automatic entitlement on the homeowners part to receive free wood.

Good luck for the future anyway.

• Like 4