Over worked and under payed

Cain

28 minutes ago, Cain said:

Check all the keyboard warriors. Don’t worry guys over £100,000 worth of kit will be on eBay soon fill your boots. My names Shug not Mug. Had already made my mind up just posted to see how others in the industry feel. I know plenty guys who agree with me. The industry not to mention the country is knackered. Time to invest my money and energy elsewhere. Stay safe 

So you’ve got £100k of paid for kit and can clear £1k a day on your own work. But you want to wind it down a bit so instead you go out 5 days a week working for someone else and moan that you only earn £200 a day.

Just do your own jobs for 1 day a week, (or if you want to be twice as rich as you are now then do your own jobs for 2 days a week)! 
I’m assuming your next industry isn’t going to be brain surgery?…

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Cain said:

Check all the keyboard warriors. Don’t worry guys over £100,000 worth of kit will be on eBay soon fill your boots. My names Shug not Mug. Had already made my mind up just posted to see how others in the industry feel. I know plenty guys who agree with me. The industry not to mention the country is knackered. Time to invest my money and energy elsewhere. Stay safe 

To be fair I’d expect a lot more than £200 a day for £100k worth of

kit 👍🏻

However I’m under no illusion that I can earn more then £200 a day leaving the kit in the shed!!!

What are you classing as £100k worth of kit? Cause to my mind that’s a 3t Arb digger, a loader,  a chipper, stump grinder and small compact tractor too….

Are you trying to say a freelance climbers saws and rigging kit are 100k? 🤪

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

So you’ve got £100k of paid for kit and can clear £1k a day on your own work. But you want to wind it down a bit so instead you go out 5 days a week working for someone else and moan that you only earn £200 a day.

Just do your own jobs for 1 day a week, (or if you want to be twice as rich as you are now then do your own jobs for 2 days a week)! 
I’m assuming your next industry isn’t going to be brain surgery?…

That’s what iam doing so no need for your advice thanks. I just feel for others in the industry who don’t have that luxury. How can they survive on buttons with all the overheads?? And ye no brain surgeon but do have half a brain so I know when to move on. This subject seems to be going clean over people’s heads. Could you survive on those rates?? With no job security??  Clearly a lot of the commenters don’t value there skills and work ethic. But guess it’s mainly brain dead peeps who are writing so much crap.  Really need to stop replying to these posts places to be and things to do 😮💨

I don't think the issue then is being underpaid.

A freelance 'man' with a saw & PPE should probably command those rates, a bit less maybe, add in skills such as climbing, team leading and so on and you can add something to that bottom line. This is the same as in any business - shelf stacker in Tescos earns less than Team Leader Shelf Stacker. As such the pay rate is fair, and if all you are selling is being a 'man with saw' then you are getting the right rate.

If you are turning up with a tipper transit, a chipper, 3 or 4 saws, climbing kit, then you need to add that into the rate you charge.

If you take 100k worth of kit to site (with, what, a 5 year replacement cycle?) you need to be adding £400 a week to your rates if you use it all.

No wonder you are in demand, the employers are getting a lot of kit on site for free.

So the issue isn't rates, it is business management. Same with any business. A good example might be driving, you shouldn't charge about 19p a mile (I think that is petrol costs), but whatever HMRC say, about 60p a mile. Pure business management needed, not different rates.

Edited by Steven P

28 minutes ago, Cain said:

That’s what iam doing so no need for your advice thanks. I just feel for others in the industry who don’t have that luxury. How can they survive on buttons with all the overheads?? And ye no brain surgeon but do have half a brain so I know when to move on. This subject seems to be going clean over people’s heads. Could you survive on those rates?? With no job security??  Clearly a lot of the commenters don’t value there skills and work ethic. But guess it’s mainly brain dead peeps who are writing so much crap.  Really need to stop replying to these posts places to be and things to do 😮💨

If you are pulling £1k a day profit out of you and £100k of kit I’d suggest sticking with what you do. (I suspect you are talking out of your arse though).

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Cain said:

The thing is they clearly can otherwise the market where you live wouldn’t be saturated. Unfortunately when you have a very low barrier to entry to a career the wages are never going to reflect what you think you’re worth. On the plus side if you can wait it out with your 100k of kit and years of experience the market will eventually bottom out in your area.  Strung out companies/operatives will leave the market allowing you to then charge a premium for your service, happy days! 

• Haha 1