is it actually possible to get unproccessed recently felled trunks by the lorry load anymore?

Ollie_M

had a fire place as only source of heat in the house for going on 20 years, then went to heating oil and the stove didnt get used, getting a new stove put in and am looking for recently felled lengths for sale as thats what we used to buy, completely unproccesed trunks and had them delivered on a rigid lorry, normally a 10 ton drop off but i cant seem to find anyone that offers such a delivery let alone someone who will deliver to south glos/wiltshire.
just wondering if anyone knows of anyone that i might be able to get an order off of?

Prices for what you refer to (cordwood or round wood) have shot up recently. So have haulage costs. 

ten tons is only half a wagon. I’d up your order to a full load and someone might be interested then. I’d also call around local forestry contractors and ask if they could deliver a tractor and trailer load. 

lastly, if you are less fussy about what you burn then you might be able to get a cheaper load. A tractor trailer load of mixed softwood left over once a block has been felled for example- if you’ll take whatever’s left in the loading bay once the lorries have been then it might work for you both. 

• Like 1

What doobin said. It’s forestry contractors for a load of commercially bought firewood roundwood, probably 3m lengths. 26 tonnes is a normal load. Or ask for oddments like he says.

If you’re happy to put more work in, there will be one (very slim chance of two) arb contractor in your area doing the sorts of site clearance that means they have a tractor and trailer to run wood away. It’ll be all sorts of sizes and messy and bent but cheaper, possibly free. You absolutely cannot be a fanny if taking a tip from such an outfit. Being disorganised, time-picky or giving them a difficult place to tip, you won’t see them again, if the first time. 

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ollie_M said:

had a fire place as only source of heat in the house for going on 20 years, then went to heating oil and the stove didnt get used, getting a new stove put in and am looking for recently felled lengths for sale as thats what we used to buy, completely unproccesed trunks and had them delivered on a rigid lorry, normally a 10 ton drop off but i cant seem to find anyone that offers such a delivery let alone someone who will deliver to south glos/wiltshire.
just wondering if anyone knows of anyone that i might be able to get an order off of?

You could try listing yourself as a tip site. It won’t be the high quality hardwood lengths that you’re necessarily after, but it might be free 

cheers for the suggestions guys, not really fussed on what wood it is or the quality so long as its not rotten and at a fair price. will have a phone around see who i can get into contact with. only reason for not wanting an artic load is that theres no room to swing into our driveway off the single track road, used to be fine as my family owned the farm that we built our house next to but with it being in the proccess of being sold currently its unlikely i'd have time to get a load dropped in the yard and moved. most likely will register as a tip site aswell as have looked and no one near me wants anything other than free woodchips.

12 hours ago, Ollie_M said:

cheers for the suggestions guys, not really fussed on what wood it is or the quality so long as its not rotten and at a fair price. will have a phone around see who i can get into contact with. only reason for not wanting an artic load is that theres no room to swing into our driveway off the single track road, used to be fine as my family owned the farm that we built our house next to but with it being in the proccess of being sold currently its unlikely i'd have time to get a load dropped in the yard and moved. most likely will register as a tip site aswell as have looked and no one near me wants anything other than free woodchips.

Restricted access is common in forestry- plenty run rigid trucks but ten tons is still a part load. 

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Well, what do you think of this load, just dropped off for me by one of my local tree surgeons?

It's 7 tons, he says, all oak, from a tree that died some time ago, and therefore already part-seasoned. Delivered as 2 x 3.5 tons (but no delivery charges).

He knows I like to receive wood already part cut-up so my handyman can easily deal with the rest with a chain saw, and a pretty good log-splitter that we bought for about £600. That's paid for itself handsomely after less than a couple of years.

This load cost me £300 from the tree surgeon.  I was thrilled with it, but you may think differently.?

All comments welcome!  Oak delivery 21 Dec 23.docxOak delivery 21 Dec 23.docx

9 minutes ago, Logburner said:

Hi Guys

Well, what do you think of this load, just dropped off for me by one of my local tree surgeons?

It's 7 tons, he says, all oak, from a tree that died some time ago, and therefore already part-seasoned. Delivered as 2 x 3.5 tons (but no delivery charges).

He knows I like to receive wood already part cut-up so my handyman can easily deal with the rest with a chain saw, and a pretty good log-splitter that we bought for about £600. That's paid for itself handsomely after less than a couple of years.

This load cost me £300 from the tree surgeon.  I was thrilled with it, but you may think differently.?

I think 2 loads in a 3.5t truck doesn’t make 7t!

Probably more like 2t there.

Looks like quite nice stuff, but if I could make £150 for a Tranny load of unprocessed green cord I’d be a happy man.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Logburner said:

Hi Guys

Sorry to say I think he saw you coming.  I might be wrong but it doesn't look like oak to me.  And certainly not part seasoned.  It could be willow, which at least is easier to dry than oak, but not great burning.