Lithium battery jumper packs

Haironyourchest

Battery boosters, jump packs, whatever you call them. The new lithium ones.. Thinking seriously about buying a couple, for me and Wifey's cars/vans. For reasons of safety firstly and pride secondly, one doesn't want to rely on the charity of strangers for a jump start. Especially after reading about the small chance of the "doner" vehicle blowing it's circuits if the jump goes wrong. Wouldn't want any part of that drama..

Any thoughts or experiences? Recommendations and warnings?

Edited by Haironyourchest
Spelling

9 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Battery boosters, jump packs, whatever you call them. The new lithium ones.. Thinking seriously about buying a couple, for me and Wifey's cars/vans. For reasons of safety firstly and pride secondly, one doesn't want to rely on the charity of strangers for a jump start. Especially after reading about the small chance of the "doner" vehicle blowing it's circuits if the jump goes wrong. Wouldn't want any part of that drama..

Any thoughts or experiences? Recommendations and warnings?

I have a Noco one. It  was great to start with, phenomenal starting juice for such a small thing- however mine soon lost it's oomp. I put it down to a Friday afternoon job though because friend also has one and his has been ace. Good torch on it too and can charge phone of it etc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slicer Dicer said:

I have a Noco one. It  was great to start with, phenomenal starting juice for such a small thing- however mine soon lost it's oomp. I put it down to a Friday afternoon job though because friend also has one and his has been ace. Good torch on it too and can charge phone of it etc

Noco seems to be the current favorite on the forums and stuff. I've now stumbled upon super-capacitor jumpers, very interesting indeed. No battery involved, good for 10 - 20 years sitting idle, apparently. The research continues....

Got a no name one, fabulous invention. 

Comes out, when one of those tiny batteries in small machinery is gone after 2 years again. 

In one machine I've even skipped out replacing the battery because it's used so rarely and the lithium jump start works so nice. 

Only thing that's a little annoying is, if you want it to serve you a while: keep out of the of heat and cold -  exactly the conditions I have in 3/4 of the year in my vehicle.

One reason I procrastinate upgrading to battery powered equipment. 

• Thanks 1

My neighbour across the road is using one on his Disco 4 pretty regularly (every time he starts it) as apparently there is a drain on the battery they can't find.

I think the problem is likely to be looking after the battery, not too flat, not overcharging etc. Otherwise you have a backup you can't rely on.

My strategy is change the car battery as soon as it shows signs of weakness, modern ones don't live in a poorly state very long like in the old days. So far so good, still have jump leads in the van but only ever jumped other people.....

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, doobin said:

I have gone through three noco GB140s. 

still haven’t found anything better on the market but not impressed with longevity. 

I'm thinking the smaller ones aren't as good. I've got the 3000A one (will get a pic later) and it's been faultless. It's started a 6.8 litre diesel iro 20 times before needing to be recharged. A note re charging - even though it is officially fully charged once rhe green light is on, it will carry on pulsing for a full day (ooh er). Leaving it til it's stopped pulsing may be the key to ensuring proper performance.

• Thanks 1

I bought a Sealey version, it will start the vehicle if it is already trying to start ie. not completely dead but that's about it.

Then bought a bigger and much more expensive NOCO version which is obviously lots better and starts anything that is going to start.

Very good for mishaps and unexpected events but it is far better and cheaper to make sure your vehicle battery is in good condition. Spent a lifetime working in a scrapyard challenge farming partnership and wouldn't like to think just how much extra was spent in time arsing about trying to start vehicles with broken batteries.

• Thanks 1

I have a RAC 400 Amp one.  It works OK. It is only meant for cars up to 1.5 liters (incidentally I have no idea why they size it off the engine size rather than the battery size). But I have used it on tired batteries of 2 liter cars, quad bike, mower, even a tractor once.

The battery life only seems to last a few months before it needs recharging, but funnily enough that works fine for me.  It doesn't take long to charge.  This is so much easier than jump cables. I might try a more powerful one next time.

• Thanks 1