Lithium battery jumper packs

Haironyourchest

11 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I think you are safe for a couple of months between charges, it's leaving it in the glove compartment for a year or so that is bad but I too like the idea of a supercapacitor one

I'm sure you're right, but I plan to keep it with the other breakdown stuff in an old army box in the back of the van, never to see light between breakdowns.  Generally it's other people's vehicles breaking down though, not mine, but I like to rescue folks. The last four rescues when my breakdown kit came in handy:

Couple weeks ago - jump started wifey's friend's car with jumper cables.

Couple more weeks ago - local builder blew a tire, 3.5 tonne loaded transit, layby at night. His scissor jack wasn't able to lift the van. I went for my 3t bottle jack and lifted the van easily. After that episode I bought a 2t telescopic low profile bottle jack which will do my own van with a flat on the jacking points and also slide under the axel of a flat tire transit.

Back in summer, an elderly couple conked out in the road on a hill. Failed alternator. Used my 3 piece towbar to tow them up the hill to a proper layby. Got a load of building work out of it later.

Spring - came up on a flipped car in the road on a bend. Guy was ok, plenty of other locals stopped to manage traffic until the fire brigade rocked up. I got my collapsible traffic cones out and distributed four or five vizi-vests to the gang.

Early spring - changed a flat tire in a petrol station parking lot for some ladies. Job involved jumping on the tire iron, which neither of the ladies were equipped for, footwear wise. And loosening the wheel rim with a hammer. And pumping the spare to pressure with my wee electric pump.

Replaced a dead dip bulb on the fly for a local last winter from my bulb collection.

I just get a kick out helping people out of bind unexpectedly. Out in the sticks you kind of pull over to check if they need help, automatically. Often they really do. So I've always done this and built a basic breakdown kit over time, besides the general tools I usually have in the van. I'm thinking a rock solid reliable jumper device would be an excellent addition for several reasons:

1. No chance I will fry my electrics helping someone else.

2. No chance they will fry their electrics helping me.

3. No need to position the vehicles - obviates the risk of scratches, aggrevation. 

4. Sometimes there really isn't room to do it safely.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

I'm sure you're right, but I plan to keep it with the other breakdown stuff in an old army box in the back of the van, never to see light between breakdowns.  Generally it's other people's vehicles breaking down though, not mine, but I like to rescue folks. The last four rescues when my breakdown kit came in handy:

Couple weeks ago - jump started wifey's friend's car with jumper cables.

Couple more weeks ago - local builder blew a tire, 3.5 tonne loaded transit, layby at night. His scissor jack wasn't able to lift the van. I went for my 3t bottle jack and lifted the van easily. After that episode I bought a 2t telescopic low profile bottle jack which will do my own van with a flat on the jacking points and also slide under the axel of a flat tire transit.

Back in summer, an elderly couple conked out in the road on a hill. Failed alternator. Used my 3 piece towbar to tow them up the hill to a proper layby. Got a load of building work out of it later.

Spring - came up on a flipped car in the road on a bend. Guy was ok, plenty of other locals stopped to manage traffic until the fire brigade rocked up. I got my collapsible traffic cones out and distributed four or five vizi-vests to the gang.

Early spring - changed a flat tire in a petrol station parking lot for some ladies. Job involved jumping on the tire iron, which neither of the ladies were equipped for, footwear wise. And loosening the wheel rim with a hammer. And pumping the spare to pressure with my wee electric pump.

Replaced a dead dip bulb on the fly for a local last winter from my bulb collection.

I just get a kick out helping people out of bind unexpectedly. Out in the sticks you kind of pull over to check if they need help, automatically. Often they really do. So I've always done this and built a basic breakdown kit over time, besides the general tools I usually have in the van. I'm thinking a rock solid reliable jumper device would be an excellent addition for several reasons:

1. No chance I will fry my electrics helping someone else.

2. No chance they will fry their electrics helping me.

3. No need to position the vehicles - obviates the risk of scratches, aggrevation. 

4. Sometimes there really isn't room to do it safely.