Chimney sweeping rods and brushes?

I am about to buy a set of chimney sweeping rods and brush so I can sweep our 8 inch diameter chimney flue . I assume rods and brushes vary quite a bit in quality /durability. Which type of rods are up to the job of chimney flue cleaning and  rodding underground  pipes feeding septic tank. Thanks for any info,  

36 minutes ago, cessna said:

I am about to buy a set of chimney sweeping rods and brush so I can sweep our 8 inch diameter chimney flue . I assume rods and brushes vary quite a bit in quality /durability. Which type of rods are up to the job of chimney flue cleaning and  rodding underground  pipes feeding septic tank. Thanks for any info,  

I have drain rods but moved to these for sweeping

• Like 1

It depends on how straight and the length of your chimney. I use nylon shaft rods/ brass pinned connectors of around 20mm diameter and they work fine for drains and a reasonably straight chimney. If your chimney is not that straight then, perhaps the thinner ones may be more suitable.

Just remember....make sure you keep turning them anti clockwise as you sweep otherwise you will lose a head or length of rod up the chimney!!

35 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I have drain rods but moved to these for sweeping

I just got the white flex rods and two brushes as I have a 5" flue and a 6" flue. Didn't see the need for locking ones as long as you keep twisting them they can't come undone. Done enough work on land drains over the years and never lost any. (clockwise not anticlockwise @spudulike

No idea why they make them in white of all colours.Had them a while now but not actually got round to using them but they look the part alright. 

Drain rods are too stiff for flexible flues imo, ok for brick chimneys though.

Until I got this set I have been using a set of those really thin, like 3-4mm, rods they use for poking electric cables through joists etc with a brush fastened on the end. Worked for me for probably about 10 years before they got tired.

35 minutes ago, spudulike said:

It depends on how straight and the length of your chimney. I use nylon shaft rods/ brass pinned connectors of around 20mm diameter and they work fine for drains and a reasonably straight chimney. If your chimney is not that straight then, perhaps the thinner ones may be more suitable.

Just remember....make sure you keep turning them anti clockwise as you sweep otherwise you will lose a head or length of rod up the chimney!!

Righty tighty lefty loosey!

Yes I get the sweep in occasionally to keep the insurers happy, but I still think any reasonable proficient DIY-er should have their own rods. Open fires or older clay or brick flues can benefit from sweeping twice a year. Plus it keeps the professionals on their toes to know you have a set.  My sweep doesn't go on the roof for insurance reasons so I do that just before he turns up. Plus you can quickly respond to jackdaw nests, clear gutter downpipes, drains etc.  I'm also tempted to buy those thinner more flexible rods for the AGA and the stove flues.