Quality/durability of different makes of wood burning stoves.

18 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

The legs, sides, door top baffle and top of mine are still okay, it is the back that is split if you want some green enameled bits.

Thanks for the offer openspaceman ,as I am trotting towards 80 I dont do many these days but will keep it mind. Ive had a number of different models of Jotul with poor enamel but rather than wait for suitable colour doner have sandblasted back to bare cast and resprayed.   

• Like 1

On 07/11/2023 at 14:16, Ashes_Firewood said:

Never seen anyone else's woodburner have the glass clear like you get on a Clearview either. Most people's are pretty black.

Ive never had an issue with either of my Stoves. I expect the problem is people just not knowing how to properly operate their stoves rather than the manufacturer not offering stoves that do their job correctly. 

Most sooted up glass is usually the owners inability to use the dampers correctly followed by burning wet wood. Stoves have their little foibles and you have to get to know them to get the best out of them. Shutting the dampers completely will initially give you heat and then sooted up glass..................

Wet wood....well why would you?

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 17:28, spudulike said:

Most sooted up glass is usually the owners inability to use the dampers correctly followed by burning wet wood. Stoves have their little foibles and you have to get to know them to get the best out of them. Shutting the dampers completely will initially give you heat and then sooted up glass..................

That's why I like my Burley stove . Its only got 2 controls . The door and the air slide .

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 16:49, trigger_andy said:

Ive never had an issue with either of my Stoves. I expect the problem is people just not knowing how to properly operate their stoves rather than the manufacturer not offering stoves that do their job correctly. 

On 11/11/2023 at 17:28, spudulike said:

Yes, a lot of people let their stoves slumber most of the time and never really get them going properly to get a good clean burn. They think they are saving on wood by it sitting their sulking in the bottom of the stove rather than burning properly. You can't tell them!

19 hours ago, Stubby said:

That's why I like my Burley stove . Its only got 2 controls . The door and the air slide .

Sounds similar to the controls on the Clearview.

• Like 2

I agree with this.  A small amount of wood burning furiously is more efficient than jamming the stove full of wood and letting it slumber.  Plus this causes premature wear to the firebricks.  Some modern eco design stoves for smoke controlled areas even prevent you closing the stoves down completely - either holes at the rear or some fixture in the vent that stops it closing fully.  I'm not sure I am 100% comfortable with this, as there may be a safety reason to clamp the stove down completely if it got too hot for example.

I struggle with my Esse One Eco design stove to be honest.  There isn't enough metal between the top of the door and the flue, so it smokes back into the room when it is being lit, or the fire is cold or the window is closed or its windy.  Yes I can make it smoke-free with a few tricks, but its not ideal.  I feel its designed by scientists for perfect laboratory conditions.

I'm going to try replacing the liner, adding a suspended cowl and insulating the flue.  If that doesn't work I chuck it and buy a second hand clearview.  I've never had problems with clearviews - I even swapped in my clearview from a different room - totally fine!

Before anyone asks, its Scotland where the rules on DIY work are different.

Yup, you need to burn (dry) wood efficiently or the glass will blacken. Wet wood and inneficiently low temperatures in the firebox will clog everything up.

The Stovax Vogue Eco also suffers like Mudy42's Esse One for exactly the same reasons.

I am thinking of adding an internal baffle extending the top (internal) lip lower into the firebox. The amount of ash I get in our living room with this new stove is silly, you just can't open the door without it pouring out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/10/2023 at 21:55, cessna said:

We are considering installing a wood burning stove to replace  our open fire.  So if you have used a wood burning stove on a daily basis  (not just weekends)  for your main source of heat for heating your cottage/house over many years , I would be interested to know what make of stoves have stood the test of time.What metal are they made out of, I ask as I have heard that some makes of wood burning stoves "buckle over time" as they are made of poor quality materials. Not fussed what country the stove is  made in , I just want a really well made durable stove,which I know will come at a high price !!!

Thanks in advance for any,to the point info /advice.  

Stoves that stand the test of time are generally those made from scratch in the UK or western Europe.   The issue now is that there is a lot of importing not only of chinese etc junk but also by UK brands buying in semi finshed stoves from China and eastern Europe mainly and perhaps fitting a door handle or glass in the UK,.  These can then be sold as made in the UK.  

Sooner or later your stove will need service parts so its important to select a brand that is well estabilished and financially sound with a good parts back up.

I have rebuilt grates on Charnwoods and Morso stoves that are 40 years old plus,  Arada outer casings are  warranted for life,  Esse are a very robust product,other decent brands to consider,  Woodwarm, Heta, Hwam, Jotul.

Dont like Burley,   the circular air flow in every one of theirs I have seen within the firebox puts ash up the left hand side of the glass,   Chesney someone mentioned,  they went bust 2 or 3 years ago,  then reformed a few weeks later minus a lot of debt,  they buy in stoves from other manufacturers and re sell so quality and parts support would be a lottery.   

Somebody else mentioned Clearview,   really good stoves in their day but that was 20 /25 years ago and technology has moved on.  Most of their models are not compliant with the current emissions and efficiency requirements,   the buisness is for sale as the owner wishes to retire so their long term future is questionable.  

As a stove retailer I believe that the current world leader in combustion technology is Charnwood,   they have a big price ticket yes but very low ownership costs linked to a long product life makes the cost per year far lower than cheaper brands.

A

• Like 7