Quality/durability of different makes of wood burning stoves.

Today we went to R W Knight  at Marshfield Nr Chippenham to look at wood burners and they have a very good display.  As I sell air seasoned logs in a small way (one man band), I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was steady flow of  customers besides ourselves looking at wood burners.    

• Like 1

Had our Clearview 7 years and it's lit every day for minimum 6 months of the year. Only had to change the firebricks last year for the first time and changed the baffle plate whilst I was at it.

Never seen anyone else's woodburner have the glass clear like you get on a Clearview either. Most people's are pretty black.

59 minutes ago, Ashes_Firewood said:

Never seen anyone else's woodburner have the glass clear like you get on a Clearview either. Most people's are pretty black.

A quick wipe with newspaper in the morning before use it to light the stove keeps mine acceptable - but if I didn't it would get dirty

On 28/10/2023 at 11:18, openspaceman said:

In the old days when the firebox was not lined with firebricks there was a definite advantage in cast iron. My jotul 602 suffered little damage from corrosion in 30+ years apart from around the flue outlet [1]. What cause the main problem that caused me to replace it was purely my fault in chronically shutting th door on overlong logs which cracked the (replaceable) back plate.

Are you saying your 602 had no lining or stoves before didn’t

11 hours ago, slim reaper said:

Are you saying your 602 had no lining or stoves before didn’t,

Most of the stoves I saw in the early days had no lining. I don't think I came across any before 1978

My 602 has a cast iron door with no glass, it has two cast iron side plates which hung from pegs which will have raised firebox temperature a bit.

Later 602s had some glass in the door and then they revamped the air flow with heated secondary flow and firebrick lining.

On 08/11/2023 at 09:52, openspaceman said:

Most of the stoves I saw in the early days had no lining. I don't think I came across any before 1978

My 602 has a cast iron door with no glass, it has two cast iron side plates which hung from pegs which will have raised firebox temperature a bit.

Later 602s had some glass in the door and then they revamped the air flow with heated secondary flow and firebrick lining.

Ah! Ok, thanks for clearing that up,  I thought maybe you had a rogue 602 as all the early one ive reconditioned had the cast side plates. I cant say ive come across any early cast stoves that didnt or didnt that should have a  linning of some sort

On 07/11/2023 at 14:17, Steven P said:

A quick wipe with newspaper in the morning before use it to light the stove keeps mine acceptable - but if I didn't it would get dirty

I give mine a wipe with a damp cloth once every 3-4 weeks and that's only because there's a slight haze/film on the glass rather than any black.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slim reaper said:

Ah! Ok, thanks for clearing that up,  I thought maybe you had a rogue 602 as all the early one ive reconditioned had the cast side plates. I cant say ive come across any early cast stoves that didnt or didnt that should have a  linning of some sort

The legs, sides, door top baffle and top of mine are still okay, it is the back that is split if you want some green enameled bits.