1m3 vs builders bag 🤯

3 hours ago, doobin said:

A builders bag is 0.8mx0.8mx0.8m. This equals 0.5m3.

0.5m3 x1.8 ton/metre of aggregate is 900kg. Never filled all the way to the top, hence the 850kg +/- 50kg of aggregate that the builders merchants specify. 

It’s far easier to offer a builders bag of logs too. Charge 75% of the cube cost for that and if they’re too dumb to listen to your explanation on the phone then happy days. 

So easy to sell by the builders bag, new customers you just say 'like a builders merchant would deliver sand in' if they're struggling to grasp it, and repeat customers either liked the amount they got for their money, or they don't buy again.

I put my bulk bags inside a box that I made, fill them, fork them out the box.

The box does the measuring, the bag is just for transport. Means I can use any bulk bags I get off jobs, reuse them without worrying about giving away free logs- I always get 2 bulk bags out of an ibc- and the customers get a consistent amount.

I've done a few deliveries of ibcs this year, fork it on, at the customers hand ball logs out the back until I can tip it over on the truck bed, stand it upside down, roll it back over, drag logs off the back. Easy, and no double handling bagging up 👍 

• Like 1

Having sold a lot of firewood over the decades, just use the 0.5 as a builders bag example for pricing & comparison.

There is no point arguing with customers to gain a sale, either they buy or they don't.

Three sizes barrow, builders and IBC.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The new Boy said:

Has anyone got a picture/diagram representing the difference between 1m3 and a builders bag. 

I supply logs in loose 1m3 loads, but I’m forever having to explain the difference between that and a builders bag. 
Unfortunately I’m not the most creative person on a computer to make my own. 

Thanks In Advance 👌

For price comparison advise customers to always enquire about the size (dimensions) of builders bags as not all the same size, the average moisture content, size of the logs (length and max/min dia and if possible also have a look at the product. We sell logs based on a min load size of 2m3 loose/bulk but quote prices per loose m3 which if they want a comparison a 2m3 bulk load is about 3-4 average 'builders bags'. We also sell 0.5m boiler wood split billets based on stacked measure per m3 as well as some logs and kindling in nets. In fairness I do point out that there may be a bit more vol in 'builders' bag than measurements might suggest as open top and material can stretch.

Edited by Vedhoggar

26 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

this is why i'm purely doing in IBC's as soon as my bags i have are gone

have to explain the size everything otherwise! 

Granted I do use half a IBC as a builders bag, it's a little more generous so charge accordingly but saves on double handling.

Customers tend to understand pretty quickly and those are the ones you tend to keep, they may occasionally go elsewhere but very quickly return.

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

Granted I do use half a IBC as a builders bag, it's a little more generous so charge accordingly but saves on double handling.

Customers tend to understand pretty quickly and those are the ones you tend to keep, they may occasionally go elsewhere but very quickly return.

yeh that is true. 

some look at the cost and cost only, not the fact the are actually getting decent quality logs!

10 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Sorry for the derail, but don't you just love the occasional idiot who rings up wanting "a ton of logs", or in my case more likely "a ton of chippings/bark

That and the yours are so much dryer than the kiln dried ones I bought last, yeah and paying considerably less whilst in the same breath grumbling at the price!.

• Like 1