Drugs on site

Tree Brother

8 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

I'd be keen to see red bull type assistance on your list as well. One minute running around like a bull in a china shop then crash, as thick as mince and whinging for 'lunch' which will invariably be a chocolate bar.

I'd rather rely on the guy that had a few joints, a good night's sleep then breakfast before getting on site.

My observations of doing (paid) work with community service offenders is the more energy drink consumed, the less energy available?

Downing a pint of rockstar then asleep 20 mins later

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, scbk said:

My observations of doing (paid) work with community service offenders is the more energy drink consumed, the less energy available?

Downing a pint of rockstar then asleep 20 mins later

I think the idea you can defeat sleep deprivation and a poor diet by taking an energy drink has been soundly debunked!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

First of all by subcontractor I’m guessing you mean freelance so you can cut him loose at any point, no debate or reasons needed (and vice versa)

Second and most importantly, is he any good?

First (and last) time using him. He's apparently very competent. But having had this reported to me, my dilemma is do I challenge him on it or not bother...no proof. Groundy's word (who I trust)

21 minutes ago, Tree Brother said:

First (and last) time using him. He's apparently very competent. But having had this reported to me, my dilemma is do I challenge him on it or not bother...no proof. Groundy's word (who I trust)

Perhaps it wasn't class A drugs in there, maybe it was some electrolyte powder to counteract dehydration. 

You could just ask him what happened, if you sense bullshit then send him on his way, if he seems straight then maybe have a word and then decide whether you should send him on his way or not.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Where about are you based?  How long have you worked in Arb?

... <followed by lots of ranty stuff>

Not relevant in the slightest.

My point, which I thought was clear, is this: if you are employing someone to do a job of work which includes an element of danger to them, your other employees, or the public, you have a very clear legal duty to minimise those risks and that includes making sure that your employees are fit to carry out their work safely. That means properly trained, properly equipped, adequately rested, and not unfit through drink or drugs of any kind, legal or otherwise. You may think this is tough, but to most people (at least those who aren't drug users) it's pretty reasonable.

How do you think a non-user employee would feel working with a user if you failed to look after his safety? How would you feel when Johnny Junkie causes life-changing injury or death to another employee knowing you had the chance to prevent it but failed?

How would you feel if your recreational drug using employee, or the one who arrived at work drunk from the night before, or who hadn't slept the night before, kills someone's wife and kids by driving your signwritten van into them?

Like it or not being a good employer carries responsibilities to employees, public, and society at large, and it isn't always easy or pleasant.

I actually find it a little disturbing that any employer in this industry at a professional level would not have a documented drugs and alcohol policy. Make it clear to all staff up front what standard you demand and what will happen if they let you down, eg first warning, second warning, goodbye. Firm, safe, fair.

Edited by Treewolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, briscoe said:
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Alcohol is more harmful than heroin or crack based on the overall dangers to the individual and society as a whole, according to a report co-authored by the UK's former chief...

Graphic comparing the harmfulness of various substances

I think if a half bottle of Vodka fell out of his back pocket instead of a wee baggie the question would still be the same. Same goes for if he turned up still smashed out of his nut on booze from the night before. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Treewolf said:

Not relevant in the slightest.

Now who is ranting.? 

No, I feel it is relevant.

So many are finding it hard to find staff. 

It wasn’t the reasoning behind your text is was the stab at the starter of this thread saying he wasn’t fit to run a business that I thought was out of order.

If you read my post you would see I agree with most of what you had written

My rant was at naive individuals, not directly you,  Especially regarding the drinking of alcohol comments.

• Like 1

I guess my next comment might be is how big was the bag of white powder - a comment about electrolytes above (apart from that perhaps better to belong with his lunch), they are quite large bags, drugs, quite small bags and easy to tell apart? Large bags of illegal drugs brings a whole new world of pain for you of course.