Why can’t we…

eggsarascal

Bang on eggs. Labour put out a cost of something like 12 Billion around 20 years ago. As details were firmed up it was projected at 32 B, currently running at 71 B, and thought to be more like 100 B by the time it’s finished - some hope? Apparently France and Germany build their fast rail tracks at average of 32 million a km, here it more like 250 M 😳. I think the figures are about right but they’re not far off. The government is just throwing money at lost causes. How many Hospitals, doctors, nurses, teachers, schools with decent concrete could be had for that sort of money.

In the early days the contractor was giving £10,000 a time to “do as ya likies” to move on if they pulled up on any of the route, last I heard it was £50,000 - that was a few years back when someone I knew was in charge of security.

• Like 4

WWW.INSTITUTEFORGOVERNMENT.ORG.UK

High Speed 2 (HS2) is a proposal to build a high-speed rail line in two parts – ‘Phase 1’ between London and Birmingham...

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The project is shrouded in uncertainty and other countries’ railway constructions appear to be cheaper

Some info  still hard to understand the  huge price  increases.

For HS2, I don't understand the need to get to Birmingham quicker in the first place.

If it was me, I'd be making an assessment of how much of this project is actually needed at the moment. Office based business has shown that they can work with meetings via the internets, I'd be guessing there is a reduced business demand now - and it would be business who will be banked on to pay the hundreds each journey for peak time travel.

For leisure travel the time savings don't add up so much when you might want to travel by public transport to one of the hubs - Leeds or Manchester in the north - and this is where real time savings can be made. More frequent services, or some places, actual public transport - which would be a far better benefit to whole communities rather than the odd people who want to get to Birmingham quickly. Yup re-assess where to spend the money.

But budget, I never believe any of the numbers they throw out for large infrastructure jobs.

• Like 3

WWW.GLOBALRAILWAYREVIEW.COM

With the construction of HS2 now underway, Zoe McLernon explores how the development is set to impact rail freight...

Free up capacity for Freight could be  the main plus?

As detailed in the Department for Transport’s (DfT) 2016 Rail Freight Strategy, opportunities will be created for 144 extra freight trains per day, which could carry over 2.5 million lorries’ worth of cargo each year. Transporting freight by rail rather than by road produces 76 per cent less CO2, contributing to decarbonisation targets. 

A mate of mine is an Ecologist for HS2, his job every day is to climb the same tree to see the same absence of bats,in the same tree cavity, then he goes home.

And the rates they pay are ridicolous, which is why every day etc.

They have already caused massive ecological disaster which cannot be replaced and all to get me on a train to London 15 minutes earlier, and I hate London so even if I had a Tomorow People jaunting belt I still would avoid it like the Plague.

Stupid idea, poorly executed (which they should be)

Rant over, have a nice day.

• Like 9

You all very weak ,try to beat Irish child hospital it will cost as entire Africa yearly budget, and we will have no doctors to work in it ,as rent in Dublin is 2x nurse wages that’s what you get when mentally disabled  rear wheel lovers rule the country .Ya forgot one thing you lads can’t build anything without east Europeans ,well…… maybe hen shed at max ,sad truth…….. discuss!

Edited by Sviatoslav Tulin
  • Haha 3