How much?!!

sime42

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

We've been to the same dentist for over 20 years, originally NHS but went private so we're on a 15 per month type deal as above that includes checkups.

He is about my age, I often think when I go there he's been sat in this same room looking at teeth for all these years and really that's it for career progression, he's got another 20 years in the same room to get through before he can retire.

Dentist is on my list of jobs I am glad someone does, and really glad it's not me.

Much the same here so we moved on to a prepay plan but as we have got older the cost has escalated to £45/month each. Things like crowns are extras.

The thing is dentistry has got so much better and the new fillings seem to last much longer plus being more aware of dental hygiene  and sugary acid foods should mean younger generations need less intervention.

• Like 1

About £350 for a filling  the aren't any NHS dentist left in Wales that im aware off so had to go private.

Anyone gone abroad heard of somebody who went to latvia to get a filling?

Id guess youngsters teeth are probably worse than ever compared to recent history?

Google seems to confirm....

Edited by Stere

49 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Much the same here so we moved on to a prepay plan but as we have got older the cost has escalated to £45/month each. Things like crowns are extras.

The thing is dentistry has got so much better and the new fillings seem to last much longer plus being more aware of dental hygiene  and sugary acid foods should mean younger generations need less intervention.

Yep, massive difference between the state of people's teeth in my generation and my parents. They have a mouth full of amalgum, which has a never ending need for maintenance. By contrast I only have one cap, on a half tooth that was broken when I was about six, (playing tag at school and had a close encounter with a door handle!).

Given that, it doesn't seem worth going on to one of the prepayment schemes. Better just to take the hit every couple of years and then moan about it on an Arb forum!

• Like 1

I live in Norfolk, there was a recent survey, apparently we have the worst teeth in the country due to lack of dentists and availability of appointments. So now I'm just concentrating on the one good tooth I have left, in a short while I'll be the only person with his own tooth in Norfolk 😊 

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king 🤴

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Stere said:

About £350 for a filling  the aren't any NHS dentist left in Wales that im aware off so had to go private.

Anyone gone abroad heard of somebody who went to latvia to get a filling?

Id guess youngsters teeth are probably worse than ever compared to recent history?

Google seems to confirm....

A guy I know is getting dental work done in Poland, apparently it's half the price of here.

I'm sure he said £25k, can't remember was that the local price or the Poland price

21 hours ago, sime42 said:

Given that, it doesn't seem worth going on to one of the prepayment schemes. Better just to take the hit every couple of years and then moan about it on an Arb forum!

I don't think my wife has had a filling in her whole life, she has good diet and strong teeth. We hope the kids inherit her teeth but sadly you can't choose.

Me on the other hand need my old fillings sorting and the odd bit of work here and there, I get my money's worth from the plan.

• Like 3