How far do you travel to work?

eggsarascal

When I first came to France in 2005 I worked almost exclusively for the ex-pats over here.

1 and 1/2 hours in a transit with a Timberwolf on the back was fairly normal, day in day out, used to price by photos, sometimes it was ridiculously easy, sometimes very hard. Good money though, lots of folding.

Then in 2009 with the crash in the pound and the general financial crisis that work slowed to a trickle. So I made an effort to get more local French work, advertising in a local mag month after month.

Now I’m a lot more local 30 minutes max for the most part, traffic here being very light compared to the UK means less stress on the journey.

I still retain some of my far flung British clients though, but they’re in the minority.

Diesel bills are a big factor of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Mostly within 6-7 miles, rare to go more than fifteen miles now. 

Did a two day job this week along a remote no through lane. The rush hour was fantastic, herd of 70 odd milkers, and two ramblers. Hardly saw another soul all day. Bliss.

Out your way last week, down in the valley for a couple of days. Nice to see the dairy cattle.

Most of our work is within a sixty mile rad of base. One of our lads travels an hour a day to get to the yard, if we happen to be sixty miles the wrong way for him he has a very long day, that said we are sometimes on his doorstep.

Bob

12 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Most of our work is within a sixty mile rad of base. One of our lads travels an hour a day to get to the yard, if we happen to be sixty miles the wrong way for him he has a very long day, that said we are sometimes on his doorstep.

Bob

Long time no speak b0D, similar when I was last on the books, yard was 45 minutes away, so could be long days, but when they could they gave me the jobs in South Suffolk, Essex, only downside was I copped London.

I’m based about 5 miles outside of Wolverhampton.  I have a batch of 5 jobs down south beginning of next month all for the same client. Furthest one is Dover.  Then I have a couple of jobs for another client in Chester the week after.  I have never done Cornwall or Scotland but I probably would for the right client especially if there is a few together or in the same direction.  I don’t do it for everyone but if it’s someone that’s sending me £10k a year I try to help them out. 

I do surveys though so it’s a bit different.  I go in a transit courier with minimal equipment.  Not the same as dragging a chipper, saws, and 3 other lads down there with me. 

I quite like seeing different places as well. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1