How far do you travel to work?

eggsarascal

A recent thread got me thinking how far do you travel, not the overseas lads, you tree surgeons.

I used to do easily 200-250 miles a day from the Suffolk/Essex border up to the North Norfolk coast, much more time travelling than grafting but just as tiring. What’s your distance from base?

I sub for a franchise know so the travel is restricted by the area we can cover which is much better in my mind as I don’t enjoy driving anymore.

We regularly used to travel from Norfolk coast to Mid Scotland, Wales, English/Scottsh borders (staying in digs) year round, When we got even a half chance of getting home each night we took it, so often drove from south of Doncater or Oxford area. Didn't think anything of it back then but think I'd keel over trying it now. Firm we were working for were ok with paying for the fuel as long as it was cheaper than digs for a five man gang per week. Only bothered in summer though.

We're quite rural here so can be anything from 5 to 30 miles to get on site, sometimes up to 50 or 60. Work tends to be arranged by area so we avoid travelling distances between jobs where possible.

Before when I was freelance 60 mile plus each way was usual.

Biggest commute I've done regularly was around 600 mile return to Gloucestershire every week but I wouldn't do that these days, life's too short to bookend a weeks work with that journey, and as Blackbriarwoods mentioned, the temptation when you finish on a Friday to leave straight away and get home is strong but I've often regretted that in the early hours once off the motorway doing the last hour on crappy little local roads.

• Like 1