Where can I get a hydraulic winch pump for a Land Rover?

William Clifford

Hi,

2001 Land Rover 130 with Hydraulic winch fitted. The winch appears to work when tested - pulling another vehicle up a slight incline for example, but lacks any real power when it comes to it. Winch was on the vehicle when purchased with no identifying marks etc. I've been advised that it is most likely the pump - pictured. Does anyone know where to be asking for one? It is constantly running - attached to the belt as seen in the picture so needs to fit / be like for like etc.

Thanks.

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-27 at 15.35.57 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-29 at 19.48.06.jpeg

Edited by William Clifford

Does look like a Milemarker set up, not the most powerful set up IIRC, could put a PTO driven pump on instead that would pep it up. 

I think best bet is get the pressures checked, see what the pump is putting out.

• Like 1

Ok, I took it to my local agricultural mechanic who said that if it's on it's original pump, constantly running for 175K miles then it might be a little tired! He looked over everything else and said best place to start would be put a new pump on as everything else looked in order.

3 times it's let me down when I needed it. We'd then spend time checking it, test it with a load (eg empty 3.5T van pulled up a sloping drive) and it would seem to be working. Then when it comes to it it isn't up to the job. For example, bogged down in a field only tyre deep, not down to the axles, a load of logs on the low-sided tipper back, but it wouldn't pull it out. We only just got out with a bit of a back up and run and the combo of help from the winch. So I'm thinking there must be something wrong - it can't be that poor?

I'm afraid I don't know what winch it is. It was built as an arbtruck but I'm the 4th Arb owner and there's no markings on the winch.

So like for like could be tricky if it's an adapted merc power steering pump?

Is it much of a job to switch it to a PTO pump if I can't find a replacement or if we need more oomph?

Thanks!

My old LR had a little PTO coming out the transfer box to the pump with a hydraulic tank under the drivers seat (ex utilities)

The winch was slow but epically strong.

I imagine it was very expensive to fit, it looks to me like someone came up with a much cheaper (and less effective) option.

BE321ECA-3DDD-44FF-B411-26585F554323.jpeg

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1