Anyone else?

eggsarascal

3 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Courage isn’t not having no fear, it’s having fear and conquering it.

(Follow me for more lifestyle tips and bumper sticker philosophy)

Have you not got an entire thread on here dedicated to that style of wisdom?

3 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Probably the wrong place to ask but, have any of you as you’ve got older become scared of heights? 

Yes, but I also think its an "exposure" thing. If there's a long run of big tree jobs the fear disappears after a while only to come back after a period of small stuff. As you get older you've also got more of an imagination, which gives you the fear but probably keeps you safe as well 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

I started to lose my bottle a little before I stopped climbing full time, although I have always been a little uneasy(scared is a big word) of heights in some respects. I couldn't walk to the edge of a cliff and peer over. Happy enough when I am attached to something though!

I'm a bit like that, quite happy to dangle on a rope but was up the church tower a few months ago, looking down the middle through a trapdoor 40 feet to the ground made me weirdly nervous. The bloke from the bell company was perfectly happy free climbing around on the bell frame though, it's what he does all the time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I'm a bit like that, quite happy to dangle on a rope but was up the church tower a few months ago, looking down the middle through a trapdoor 40 feet to the ground made me weirdly nervous. The bloke from the bell company was perfectly happy free climbing around on the bell frame though, it's what he does all the time.

Quasimodo was it Dan 🤣

4 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

I started to lose my bottle a little before I stopped climbing full time, although I have always been a little uneasy(scared is a big word) of heights in some respects. I couldn't walk to the edge of a cliff and peer over. Happy enough when I am attached to something though!

I've got better with heights as got older- maybe better kit helps. I don't do massive trees though. If there's plenty of branches below then I don't mind- if nothing but space to the ground I avoid tall trees. But yes, being tied in is totally different to the feeling off tall buildings, cliffs, etc.

Interesting that so many of us say the same. I am fine if tied in, no problem up any pole with spikes on. Looking over parapet wall on a cathedral tower is scarey, I feel there is an evel unseen hand behind me wanting to push me off. If a customer asks us to clean the gutters out "while you're here, I will pay you extra of course" - no thanks not using a ladder at gutter height. Totally different if the MEWP is on site. Flip side re MEWP - we dismantled a decent sized Ash, I was at full reach in the 18m MEWP and it was a bit windy. I would have felt better tied in and climbing than in the basket.

• Like 3