Taking on an employee

Excels1or

Just now, Mick Dempsey said:

I know you run a serious biz.

Thats all legal though is it? You’ve run it by a lawyer?

If I'm honest, no I haven't but it's very common practice in a lot of industries and my sister who has HR qualifications and is an HR manager says its all good. 

Worst case, they sue me for what left right? Or I don't get paid. It's like a cancellation notice, its kind of like a deterrent rather than something I would ever want to enforce. 

Also, and this probably sounds very callous (is that how you spell it?) but even with a 1k balance outstanding, people tend to be too short sighted to say yeah sure I'll pay the 1k to leave and earn 6k a year more elsewhere. 

It's mutually beneficial and I think fair. If this was against the law, I feel it would severely discourage investment into employees 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

HR managers are fat, blonde, expensive alternatives to employment lawyers. I think your approach is right as it happens, not likely to be enforced in either direction but probably useful and probably not harmful.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I know you run a serious biz.

Thats all legal though is it? You’ve run it by a lawyer?

Perfectly legal and I’ve had to action it a few times. (I can confirm advice was given by someone who wasn’t fat or blonde).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happens in other industries too where the training is expensive but competition for employees is there.

Being honest with the employees gets a return - you get some bad apples but you can ditch them along the way, the good ones you keep. A mate has his own business, first 5 years was constant staff turn over, reducing over time, but after that he had a core team who worked for the business. Money isn't everything but will encourage a disenchanted employee to look somewhere else. Being a decent boss is worth a few ££ in a pay packet, £10 on a random box of doughnuts just because it is a Wednesday is worth many times that. But - as above you have to recognise problems and fix them quick.

• Like 2

On 14/04/2023 at 21:25, JLA1990 said:

Perfectly legal and I’ve had to action it a few times. (I can confirm advice was given by someone who wasn’t fat or blonde).

What was the process for that?

I imagine if an employee said they didn't want to pay (regardless of having signed that bit of paper) and dragged their feet, you as the employer could easily spend £1k or two on legal costs enforcing it all?

Or I may be wrong, I've never been involved in anything like that.

7 hours ago, Cordata said:

I imagine if an employee said they didn't want to pay (regardless of having signed that bit of paper) and dragged their feet, you as the employer could easily spend £1k or two on legal costs enforcing it all?

Its written into our contracts that it can be deducted from the final salary payment. 

Any remaining balance (if they refuse) can be processed through small claims with minimal effort and £30-£80 legal costs 

11 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

Its written into our contracts that it can be deducted from the final salary payment. 

Any remaining balance (if they refuse) can be processed through small claims with minimal effort and £30-£80 legal costs 

Have you ever done that, and managed to enforce judgement?

I think your skillful in in hiring the right people to start with!

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cordata said:

As @Clutchy says, outstanding training cost is deducted from final

Salary payment (The training cost  decreases following time served).