Kretzschmaria in beech.

Dilz

They aren't.  KD will breach reaction zones and lead to white rot. Its pretty unstoppable and Beech are always prone to Basal decay of many forms. 

Usual assessment criteria will apply as to if you monitor / manage or remove really. 

• Like 3

All good points above.

Beech has no heartwood and so the decay can spread easily across the whole diameter.

I've seen big beech with what appeared to be fairly limited Kretz infection (couple of small patches) but the stem was really, really decayed.

This stem is about 1.5m diameter, tree was about 30m tall, shame it had to be removed, but severely decayed and in a public area.

20210420_162240.jpg

• Like 1

Well balls -- This is a bit of monster by local standards - one of the oldest around the area - Its on private property and  protected under Swedish laws but if it goes its either going to wipe out a new  house that's just outside the drip line or flatten the neighbours garage...  and if it has to be removed its going to mean another tree on the neighbouring property is  going to become much more wind exposed to the point where I would recommend a hefty reduction - if this goes it will be also  high in terms of consequences.  I will also get lynched by the locals who were getting upset that I was just removing the big dead a and doing the require crown lift 2´over the road when I spotted the KD... but  all I can do right is put forward my recommendations for an advanced inspection of the base and then its up the owners. 

Great, I just visited this beech and came across this thread as I was cruising for advice.

25m+ in height with a 90cm dbh.

Tree was 'protected' but has now had that lifted.

The owner claims to be quite up on all matters arboricole so I am incredulous that they let this situation develop as far as it has.

I questioned the client about whether any fruiting bodies had been seen and from his description and by showing him images we established that Meripilus has been present for at least 3 years or more.

I think Kreutzmaria is also present but I didn't take any images close up.

Crown is dead with bark flaking off.

Client states the tree was quite healthy and in full leaf when the heat wave struck last Summer.

The white stuff is limewash.

I thought 2 days to strip it from a mewp in small lumps then a day to fell and cross cut the stem.

IMG_20230317_120420.jpg

IMG_20230318_134109.jpg

IMG_20230317_120731.jpg

IMG_20230317_122900.jpg

IMG_20230317_120951.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Great, I just visited this beech and came across this thread as I was cruising for advice.

25m+ in height with a 90cm dbh.

Tree was 'protected' but has now had that lifted.

The owner claims to be quite up on all matters arboricole so I am incredulous that they let this situation develop as far as it has.

I questioned the client about whether any fruiting bodies had been seen and from his description and by showing him images we established that Meripilus has been present for at least 3 years or more.

I think Kreutzmaria is also present but I didn't take any images close up.

Crown is dead with bark flaking off.

Client states the tree was quite healthy and in full leaf when the heat wave struck last Summer.

The white stuff is limewash.

I thought 2 days to strip it from a mewp in small lumps then a day to fell and cross cut the stem.

IMG_20230317_120420.jpg

IMG_20230318_134109.jpg

IMG_20230317_120731.jpg

IMG_20230317_122900.jpg

IMG_20230317_120951.jpg

Driveway looks ideal for a crane or grapplesaw lorry/Merlo. Do you do much of that on the continent?

Pictures of the tree.  Its going to suck for the owner because its not going to be cheap removal or even prune... 

The KD is near where the yellow rope bag is...a previous owner wanted a bit more space on their driveway...

IMG_20230316_135157_8.jpg

IMG_20230316_135206_2.jpg

IMG_20230316_123401_2.jpg

IMG_20230316_122953_9.jpg

IMG_20230316_113723_2.jpg

IMG_20230316_125524_6.jpg