When Google really doesn’t help, Arbtalk will surely provide the answer

Squaredy

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

My wife's aunt got some windows fitted recently in her utility room, she is what you might call extremely frugal so didn't want to run to the expense of double glazing but actually found double glazing was cheaper due to mass production.

I guess unless you're going to make the frames from logs and glaze with putty then your material cost will be lower than the finished items.

Yes I get where you are coming from.  The new porch is built and the wooden frames are integral.  Therefore I just need glass bedded in mastic.  As I said it is not all about cost, I will avoid double glazing if I can.  Here it is - made of coastal redwood if anyone is interested.  Not quite finished - needs a threshold and glass and roofing sheets.IMG_8578.thumb.jpeg.97070c44b8778a5cab6c2ad2cd53304a.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Thank you for your replies.  I could go down the double glazed route I know.  It is only a porch and I don’t really feel it is necessary.  I just wondered if there is something single glazed which is a bit better than just plain glass.

I regard double glazing as a necessary evil for the rest of the house but to be avoided where possible.

Laminated glass is thermally more efficient, its probably the better option and the sort of thing any decent glass company can cut, cab glass and the like offer a mobile cutting/fitting service..

Bob

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Laminated glass is thermally more efficient, its probably the better option and the sort of thing any decent glass company can cut, cab glass and the like offer a mobile cutting/fitting service..

Bob

Yes I have heard that laminated glass is a bit better than single sheet, so I guess that is probably what I will go for.  Safer as well I guess.  I appreciate your input.

Why evil?

Is it because 95% of new double glazing seem to have thoose very wide chunky UPVC frames which look ugly versus the narrower  old frames ?

Also when the sun warms them  they are  often noisey creeking etc

On grand design etc they always seem to have alot thinner frames which look loads better but they are probaby  more expensive?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stere said:

On grand design etc they always seem to have alot thinner frames which look loads better but they are probaby  more expensive?

Nail on the head, there.

The glass in the door & the panels to the side must be laminated or toughened for regs.

Why so down on double glazed panels?

You can fit them in your wood frames.

Single glazed will be cold no matter what special glass / coatings you add.

Yes they will be better than plain glass but not by any margin.

Just fit double or even triple glazed ones with the correct safety glass.

It might only be a porch but treat it like an air or heat lock to the house.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stere said:

Why evil

2 hours ago, Justme said:

Why so down on double glazed panels?

Just a personal preference for things that last a lifetime.  Double glazed windows are fine until they fail, then in the bin they go.  There are currently three DG windows in my house that have misted and are awaiting replacement.

But for the house I accept they are probably worth it.  For a porch probably not.

As long as the porch can stay a few degrees warmer than outside I will be happy.

8 hours ago, Stere said:

Why evil?

Is it because 95% of new double glazing seem to have thoose very wide chunky UPVC frames which look ugly versus the narrower  old frames ?

Also when the sun warms them  they are  often noisey creeking etc

I especially have a hatred of all plastic windows, and doors.

Some are better than others, but in my view virtually any house built before about 1965 in the UK was more attractive when built than when upgraded to plastic windows and doors.  I make my living by running a sawmill so I am biased but I think timber is the best material for windows and doors.

It is a pity timber windows got a bad reputation for rot through poor quality construction and design and fitting.  I love going to a Georgian or Victorian building that still has its original timber windows, and often in perfect condition.  Cold I admit!

• Like 2