When Google really doesn’t help, Arbtalk will surely provide the answer

Squaredy

14 minutes ago, Steven P said:

However, 3" thick silicone? Round the back of the sink is one thing, holding the window ledge on is another.

Woooah, it was AHPP that wanted to ban the builders best friend!.

I was being a bit pragmatic, I like a bathroom that doesn't leak through to the living room.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Steven P said:

However, 3" thick silicone? Round the back of the sink is one thing, holding the window ledge on is another.

I generally find it puerile and cringey when people say, "I'd have had him over the counter!" but the entirely proper thing to do to in that situation is put the perpetrator to death.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Never considered it. Road fabric is the stuff that has always particularly offended me. Black stuff three or four metres wide that people put under whatever to fines to make a track. 

My digger man says it is as good as another 4" of ballast/MOT.

54 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Plastic underlay under aggregates is another thing I have in my sights. I’ve never found anyone who can give me a satisfactory explanation for what it does other than cost money, rip and be a wasteful mess to extract. 

The farm I started milking on got sold off after the owner died a few years later. A private sports complex got built on some of the fields and they decided to make a running track in the oak woodland adjacent, several trees were felled and prepared for extraction then they put down the black, woven geotextile and surfaces it with 6" of woodchip from the underwood and tops. I then got the job of forwarding out the shortwood. Coming up along the track with a short rise to the car park I couldn't understand why I was slowing down yet the wheels were going round, the whole track and topping was being dragged toward me as it slid on the clay subsoil.

• Haha 5

Buggles had it right by saying this is the plastic age.  And that was back in 1980 or so.  

I often wonder how we managed before plastics took over the world.  I am of course typing this on my wooden smart phone.

• Haha 2