Boring post inbound - What MPG do your arb vans do in day to day work?

Clutchy

Currently looking to renew our fleet and as we spend around 2.5k + a month on diesel across 4 vehicles, 10-20% better economy can make a small difference to profits.

Here are mine: 

2007 Transit tipper (Tows a mix of 650kg 5 inch chipper and 1,500kg 8 inch chipper) - 18.5 mpg 

2017 Transit tipper (Tows a mix of 650kg 5 inch chipper and 1,500kg 8 inch chipper) - 22.5 mpg

2017 3.2l Ford ranger (Tows 3.5t MEWP and 3.5t log trailer) - 21 mpg when towing approx 24-30 when not. 

2014 transit connect eco something (Used for quoting and stump grinding) - 55 mpg 

Looking to change to a 150bhp 2022 FUSO canters 

41 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

New Ford Ranger 2.0 bi turbo 21mpg average towing, pricing etc. Velly velly thirsty.

If economy is your aim, don’t get one.

My 2.0 ranger  has averaged 25.6 over 25000 miles, but I don't tow with it all the time.  No better or worse than all the other 4x4s I've had over the years really, they've almost all been 20-22 day to day work, 28-32 on a run, 25ish average. 

What a boring post. Sorry😅😅😅

• Like 2

My 71 plate Navara says , on the computer , that its averaging 34.7 . Not much towing and the occasional buck full of logs . It has a " Tunit " box though , which is supposed to give more power and torque and better fuel economy . I know it sounds bonkers but it does . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stubby said:

My 71 plate Navara says , on the computer , that its averaging 34.7 . Not much towing and the occasional buck full of logs . It has a " Tunit " box though , which is supposed to give more power and torque and better fuel economy . I know it sounds bonkers but it does . 

That's actually pretty impressive. We installed a similar thing on the 17' transit, increase fuel economy by a genuine 10% and the turbo give much more of a kick. Was gutless before. I mean its still gutless when loaded but definitely better 

• Like 1

Easiest way to save fuel is to make sure your driver's care.

You have a baseline consumption figure, give whoever uses the least fuel comparitively something good. Slab of Stella/ credit for shiny things at yr favourite arb shop/ a big paper crown/ whatever fits.

Make it fun and worthwhile to care.

• Like 6

Just now, Daniël Bos said:

Easiest way to save fuel is to make sure your driver's care.

You have a baseline consumption figure, give whoever uses the least fuel comparitively something good. Slab of Stella/ credit for shiny things at yr favourite arb shop/ a big paper crown/ whatever fits.

Make it fun and worthwhile to care.

Yeah, the penny has just dropped. I could definitely get much better mpg in the old transit when I was driving, good point. 

1 hour ago, Clutchy said:

Currently looking to renew our fleet and as we spend around 2.5k + a month on diesel across 4 vehicles, 10-20% better economy can make a small difference to profits.

Here are mine: 

2007 Transit tipper (Tows a mix of 650kg 5 inch chipper and 1,500kg 8 inch chipper) - 18.5 mpg 

2017 Transit tipper (Tows a mix of 650kg 5 inch chipper and 1,500kg 8 inch chipper) - 22.5 mpg

2017 3.2l Ford ranger (Tows 3.5t MEWP and 3.5t log trailer) - 21 mpg when towing approx 24-30 when not. 

2014 transit connect eco something (Used for quoting and stump grinding) - 55 mpg 

Looking to change to a 150bhp 2022 FUSO canters 

My Fuso 3c13 eat 12 litres per 60miles in average towing chipper 750 kg. My is weaker version of 130 bhp I think,empty with no towing it’s 10 litres per 60 miles.

Edited by Sviatoslav Tulin

My 17 plate Navara says just under 37 mpg average over 45k, not all in my ownership.

I can get 40mpg easily if I try, if I really try I can get close to 50mpg. It also records best ever which is 66mpg but that was very exceptional.

Towing knocks at least 10mpg off empty or loaded.

Using cruise control and staying at 56 on main roads, 65 on motorways makes an enormous difference.

Its not hard to get those figures below 30mpg if you wanted to.

• Like 1