Mind blowing price.... lost the job

James905

51 minutes ago, James905 said:

I know a couple lads quoted for it also similar to me and more.

The actual tree owner is a bit of a red flag for paying and other stuff. The area its in is a communal kind of setup. With the plan of insurance covering costs. 

The tree owner will only be interested in the cheapest quote as its not in his land anymore and that isn't his building or wall. 

He was told to take the tree down a year ago by the council 

The fact he’s let that tree get in to that state and done nothing would be a red flag as well as what you have said .. be lucky you have avoided dealing with the guy any further and move on. 

• Like 9

Cut the bigger branches off and drag the main stem out of the building, backwards, with a big tirfor or two, anchored to the stump. Don't worry about the auld shed, that'll be coming down anyway, probably, after it's all done.

Don't worry about asbestos. Open air, highly unlikely there'll be loose insulation in quantities enough to be harmful. If it's asbestos corrugate sheet roof, even safer. Virtually no chance of getting a dose just cracking sheets, you'd need to be grinding them to worry. I was told this by a guy at an asbestos removal company.

Cut the impaled branches off at the ground, don't bother to pull them. Stack the brash and let the landowner deal with it, same with firewood. don't even stack it, just leave it in moveable chunks.

That would be my "budget option". Maybe such an option was offered and accepted?

James says it’s covered within clients insurance .

Ive had similar jobs, I’ve given the client a price, they’ve called  the insurance company there and then with the cost, have come back outside to me  and given the go ahead.

The beauty in these situations is you can say  £5k for something like that, get paid upon completion by customer, then they get paid in due course by insurance.

Yes, some insurers want 15 quotes but others just say do it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MattyF said:

The fact he’s let that tree get in to that state and done nothing would be a red flag as well as what you have said .. be lucky you have avoided dealing with the guy any further and move on. 

The owner of this house was told be every passing Tree Surgeon to remove this big goosed Beech. Then it fell on her house and there she was on the front page telling the world it was only because of the storm it fell.

Insurance paid out 

20140810_154339.jpg

20140810_154315.jpg

20140810_154336.jpg

40 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

The owner of this house was told be every passing Tree Surgeon to remove this big goosed Beech. Then it fell on her house and there she was on the front page telling the world it was only because of the storm it fell.

Insurance paid out 

20140810_154339.jpg

20140810_154315.jpg

20140810_154336.jpg

The reason why a lot of insurance companies want tree reports and surveys of property before they insure it  in the uk?? 

1 hour ago, oldwoodcutter said:

James says it’s covered within clients insurance .

Ive had similar jobs, I’ve given the client a price, they’ve called  the insurance company there and then with the cost, have come back outside to me  and given the go ahead.

The beauty in these situations is you can say  £5k for something like that, get paid upon completion by customer, then they get paid in due course by insurance.

Yes, some insurers want 15 quotes but others just say do it.

I thought there was something about the owner of the tree no owning the land the tree fell on, and being keen to do it cheap? So maybe the client isn't covered. Sounds complicated... The description of the access sounds like an interesting challenge for my mini track barrow though. Wouldn't want to manually carry all the gear in and out, that's for sure.

350 sounds pretty weird though. I consider myself cheap, and I'd have said 700 - if it was local - to leave it in blocks and a brash pile, or it wouldn't be worth it.

Never ,never price anything just by photo or video lads ,I eat that pill few times ,once I came to cut down small birch I was sure by photo it’s less than 10 m 30 cm diameter, when I came it was biggest birch I ever seen 😬,I did the job cause of reputation ,luckily customer was not a scumbag,so I got biggest tips ever ,still it was pure loss of time and money.