Please vote for the 5top twats who spoil arbtalk for you

Welsh cleaning services

4 hours ago, Steven P said:

It doesn't bother me either way.

The trolls and so on come, they make a post or 2 for a few weeks and some times the members here bite. Then the members get bored and the trolls wander off to vindicate their existence somewhere else. It is a brief distraction from daily life for a day or so and then gets boring.

The others are those that come along just to argue and insult, again to vindicate their life (and in my opinion to compensate for something small and insignificant), they reach the limit and get removed, again a small distraction from life for a while, then they too get boring.

Sometimes there are clashes in personalities - going to happen wherever you are but these are guys who know their stuff, just wind each other up. But their arguments would just warrant a warning "play nice guys"

The moderators could have a cull, but generally the system works as it is - the trolls and so on move on soon enough, or make their posts interesting (and not insulting) enough to stay.

Don't be so certain that trolls actually leave, they will come and go under different usernames, and ip addresses if needed. Some might even be longstanding serious members, just having a laugh.

Trolls have been around since the beginning of internet forums/message boards/bulletin boards.

Imo they add to the entertainment :w00t: :laugh1:

:nurse:

23 minutes ago, Welsh cleaning services said:

I started this thread in case it was just me that was fed up reading sensible threads that disappear into pages of bitter slanging between the same old adversaries.

I think arbtalk is a lot poorer for it,and seems to have lost a lot of the more valuable contributors.

Yes there's a lot of garbage on here at times but I just don't view it. 

Have you ever heard of :

Don't argue with an idiot..... they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience  😆 

Mods will delete folk if they deem necessary

19 minutes ago, Welsh cleaning services said:

I think arbtalk is a lot poorer for it,and seems to have lost a lot of the more valuable contributors.

Rummaging around in old threads shows a much wider user base than we've got today, but this is pretty much the case for Internet forums in across the whole wide world wide web, which have been in general decline for a decade now. I don't know if the boss has any numbers available to confirm this, but it's certainly something I've observed and heard discussed on various forums I've been through and occasionally left over the last twenty years.

It's may or may not be true that some people have left because of a few of the more argumentative members, but they definitely aren't responsible for the overall decline. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, peds said:

Rummaging around in old threads shows a much wider user base than we've got today, but this is pretty much the case for Internet forums in across the whole wide world wide web, which have been in general decline for a decade now. I don't know if the boss has any numbers available to confirm this, but it's certainly something I've observed and heard discussed on various forums I've been through and occasionally left over the last twenty years.

It's may or may not be true that some people have left because of a few of the more argumentative members, but they definitely aren't responsible for the overall decline. 

Understandable and happens all over. If you have been on a forum for a while giving good advice, the questions come around and around again and again - only so many times you want to answer the same thing (I used to keep text files with stock answers in another forum the questions were that predictable).

Then you become just a lurker and adding to threads if they interest you.... but essentially I reckon over time you have given all you want to a forum, and the interest dies away.

Doesn't explain why there they arn't replaced with equally knowledgeable members though 

13 hours ago, peds said:

I don't know if the boss has any numbers available to confirm this, but it's certainly something I've observed and heard discussed on various forums I've been through and occasionally left over the last twenty years.

Actually the amount of traffic is a lot larger than it was. At the peak of forum activity around 2013-2014 we used to get about 80,000 unique visitors per month. Now its more like 120,000. Less choose to actually post these days, largely due to what I just mentioned about the dilution of platforms.

I don't buy that people dont post due to a few members. If that were the case social media platforms would be dead as they are amongst the most toxic environments out there!

• Like 3